Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
What would you say after someone eats something?
For example, you have a party and you hand around tea. One of the guests says: "no thanks, I've just drunk a cup of tea." At this moment, what would you say to him/her?
I need a phrase to show respect towards your guests.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Let me know if you change your mind.'

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No, I don't mean that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, then what do you mean? We're not mind readers!

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hahaha...
OK. Generally speaking, what would you say when someone eats something? We say "noosh Jan" which means.... Thank you for eating that; you did the right thing; I hope the food makes you happy; and I hope it turns to energy for your body. All these positive words show a kind of respect to the eater. Moreover, it shows you're happy because the eater ate something.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The only thing I might say to someone after they had eaten something I prepared is "Did you enjoy it?" We don't thank people for eating our food. They thank us for preparing and serving it.
In some restaurants, a waiter might say "Bon appetit" which effectively means "[I hope you] enjoy your food".

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
A: "where is my popcorn? I put it somewhere."
B: "Oh, sorry. I ate that. I didn't know that was yours."
A: " No problem. You're my best friend. (???) = noosh jan"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A: "Where is my popcorn? I put it somewhere."
B: "Oh, sorry. I ate [strike]that[/strike] it. I didn't know [strike]that[/strike] it was yours."
A: "No problem. You're my best friend. (???) = noosh jan"

We wouldn't say anything in place of your "noosh jan". Lots of people wouldn't be so understanding about someone else eating their food. A's final line might be "OK. I'll have to buy some more then". A less polite person might say "OK. I hope you're going to buy me some more popcorn to replace it".

A sarcastic person might end with "I hope you enjoyed it" but they probably wouldn't mean it!

(I think you were typing while I was typing post #6 so please read my other reply there.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't think of a similar expression in English.

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
OK. Look:

A: "Did you enjoy it?"
B: "Yes. Thank you so much."
A: " You're welcome." And what??? What would you say after that? Nothing?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"You're welcome" would be perfectly sufficient.

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
We don't thank people for eating our food.

Really? But we thank the eater. We enjoy when our guests eat our food and we say noosh Jan. Don't you like it when your guests come and eat? I think it's a kind of pleasure. Even more enjoyable than when you yourself eat something.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I understand that that's what you do in your culture but we simply don't say anything of the sort. At the end of the evening, I might say "Thanks for coming. I'm glad you enjoyed the food" but we don't thank people for eating.
In answer to your last point, I can certainly say that I don't enjoy other people eating more than I enjoy eating food myself. Of course, it's always nice when people appreciate something you've cooked for them but, I will say it again, we don't thank them for eating it!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Customs around dining vary a lot in different cultures. Years ago my family welcomed a cousin and her family as they immigrated from Soviet Russia to California. My mother had been so busy getting everything ready for them that she had no time to cook; instead, she bought a giant bucket of fried chicken from the Kentucky Fried Chicken chain. She piled the chicken pieces on a serving platter and passed it around the table.

My mother was a great cook and was embarrassed to offer nothing more than fast food, but she was still a little surprised that the Russians all exclaimed that they really weren't hungry after their very long journey. Each one reluctantly took the smallest piece on the platter after much cajoling.

They were not at all reluctant to take seconds, though. Once they'd taken the first piece, they accepted seconds and more until the mound of fried chicken was gone. We later learned that it at that time in Russia, it was very impolite to accept food without giving the host every possible chance to withdraw the offer of it. Food shortages and famine were still very recent memories in 1970s Russia, so etiquette had evolved to make it possible for a host to offer food without necessarily having to give it to a guest.

Last edited:

Narkises

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think people in the East are more hospitable. We show a great respect towards our guests. We believe guests bring happiness and a lot of gifts from God. Moreover, inviting gusts and serving them prolong our lives. So, our houses are always open to people. And we appreciate anyone who accepts our invitation.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
That's not a customary way to think or feel in any English society that I know of, so the accompanying words would be wrong.
An appropriate response to your original question about a guest declining a cup of tea would be, "Fine", or "OK", then you move on to the next person and offer them tea.

Status
Not open for further replies.