Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

What do you think about as follows:

Only 2% of the country population afford/affords sending their children abroad to study.

On the one hand we should choose "afford" because 2% usually means a great number of people (definitely more than one), but on the other hand 2% can be considered the singular.

What is your view?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

What do you think about as follows:

Only 2% of the country population afford/affords sending their children abroad to study.

On the one hand we should choose "afford" because 2% usually means a great number of people (definitely more than one), but on the other hand 2% can be considered the singular.

What is your view?
My view is that I wouldn't write it like that. I would write, "Only 2% of the population can afford to send their children abroad to study.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My view is that I wouldn't write it like that. I would write, "Only 2% of the population can afford to send their children abroad to study.

Anyway, even if what I've written sounds not good enough for your ear which option would you choose?

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I see that my example with "afford" was ill-considered. How about the following:

10% of the country population travel to New Zealand every year

90% of students prefer to take food with them rather than buy it at school

Thanks

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I see that my example with "afford" was ill-considered. How about the following:

10% of the country population travel to New Zealand every year. You don't need the word "country".

90% of students prefer to take food with them rather than buy it at school. This is OK. It would be better if you wrote "Ninety per cent..."

Thanks
Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.