Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi, I've been doing an exercise on ENGLISH TESTS - FCE - Use of English - Multiple choice cloze - FIRST CERTIFICATE IN ENGLISH
and I don't understand why one of my answers is wrong. Its number 7 and the sentence is:-

You'll be impressed by its ________ cities and charmed by its countryside and villages, full of contrasts.

I thought the answer was "historical" but the correct answer is "historic". Aren't these synonymous?

I've found this information and I still think my answer is possible. Am I not correct?

Historic
The adjective 'historic' means 'having importance in history' or 'having influence on history'.
Historical
The adjective 'historical' means 'having taken place in history', 'from the past' or 'pertaining to history'.

Can anyone tell me why I should have written "historic"?

Thanks!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Cities don't 'take place in history', though they may have some importance in history.

crazyaboutenglish

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks you both! It's obvious now.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. When I watch TV, I often notice that some native speakers are also confused by these two words.

2. I was taught this:

a. Everything is "historical." That is, it is part of history.

b. But "historic" is something in history that is very special.

3. The first time that I voted for president was in 1960. Of course, the election was a historical event, for we have been

electing presidents since 1789. But it was also a historic event. Why? President John F. Kennedy was the first Roman

Catholic to be elected president of the United States. (And, of course, you know why the presidential election of 2008 was

"historic.")

4. Let me give you another example. I cannot mention names, for it is a very sensitive issue.

a. During a particular war, the United States decided NOT to bomb a certain city in a certain country.

b. Why? Because the city was so "historic." That is, it is more than 1,000 years old. It is full of beautiful

gardens, temples, etc.

c. I read that an American official had visited the city (before the war) and was absolutely charmed by the city.

So when war came, he persuaded the American air force NOT to touch it. He felt that it would be a crime to destroy

such a "special" place.

5. Here in the United States, some old houses have been declared "historic." Why? Maybe because someone famous

once lived in it. Maybe it has a unique architectural design. When a house is declared "historic," this prevents someone

from buying it and demolishing it to make room for a new building.

James

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

trueheart_205

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Excuse me for my stupid question !:lol:
" It's fine if you choose not to".I don't understand what you mean by that. Could you make it clear? Only the meaning, not something else!
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.