Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Turkmen President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov secured five more years as leader of the Central Asian state by winning 97 per cent of votes in Sunday presidential election, the Cen-tral Election Commission said yesterday.

What does "five more years" mean here?
I think it mean more than five years but the word order here is the things confusing me.
Thank for help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
he has already had a number of years as president. Now he has an additional five years.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He won an election for a 5 year term.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Turkmen President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov secured five more years as leader of the Central Asian state by winning 97 per cent of votes in Sunday presidential election, the Cen-tral Election Commission said yesterday.

What does "five more years" mean here?
I think it mean more than five years but the word order here is the things confusing me.
Thank for help.
Anhnha, the word 'more' in this context means the Turkmen president will be president for another five year period. He is the current president...he won the election...he will continue to be the leader for an additional five years. The meaning of 'more' in this example indicates that Berdymukhamedov is presently in office and will continue for another five years, which, apparently, is the length of time before another election will take place.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
he has already had a number of years as president. Now he has an additional five years.

He won an election for a 5 year term.

Anhnha, the word 'more' in this context means the Turkmen president will be president for another five year period. He is the current president...he won the election...he will continue to be the leader for an additional five years. The meaning of 'more' in this example indicates that Berdymukhamedov is presently in office and will continue for another five years, which, apparently, is the length of time before another election will take place.
SoothingDave and 5jj can type faster than I can! :-D I agree with their comments.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you for clearing that up.
I understand its meaning now. The word "more" and position make me confused.
Can I replace the phrase"five more years" by "five years more" or "more five years" in the original sentence?
Is "more" an adjective in the above sentence?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for clearing that up.
I understand its meaning now. The word "more" and position make me confused.
Can I replace the phrase"five more years" by "five years more" or "more five years" in the original sentence?
Is "more" an adjective in the above sentence?

Five years more, yes. More five years, no.
It's an adjective in that sentence. This might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.