Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
*I am questioning my old beliefs (including but not limited 2 religion)..and it's hard 2 do with ur friends and family following you..it's much easier 2 spread knowledge and get people 2 question theirs.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
*I am questioning my old beliefs (including but not limited 2 religion)..and it's hard 2 do with ur friends and family following you..it's much easier 2 spread knowledge and get people 2 question theirs.

Hi Alanoud, and welcome to Using English. :)

Since you are obviously interested in correct English, please start by forgetting everything you have seen in chat rooms. 2, plzzz and ur are not words. To, please, and your are words.

Additinally, ... is a real punctuation mark, but it's used to show that words were omitted. Using .. is not a real punctuation mark, and using ... to show a vague shift in thought is not standard English either.

Please rewrite what you've give us with only real words and with proper punctuation, ending a sentence where needed and starting a new one with a capital letter.

Then we'll be happy to take a look.

Alanoud

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Help me correct this sentence

*I am questioning my old beliefs (including but not limited to religion),and it's hard to do with your friends and family following you,it's easier to spread knowledge ,and get people to question theirs.

I hope this is okay!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: Help me correct this sentence

*I am questioning my old beliefs (including, but not limited to, religion),and it's hard to do this with your friends and family following you[STRIKE],[/STRIKE].space[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]It's easier to spread knowledge ,and to get people to question theirs.
That's my opinion. Others may have different thoughts. If you have questions about any of my changes, don't hesitate to ask.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Help me correct this sentence

*I am questioning my old beliefs (including, but not limited to, religion), (space after comma) and it's hard to do with your friends and family following you. It's easier to spread knowledge (no comma) and to get people to question theirs (I'm not sure if you mean "their knowledge" or "their beliefs").

I hope this is okay!

My suggestions are above. They're much the same as 5jj's, I think, but I've added a couple of spaces after commas and, as you can see, I'm not quite clear what "theirs" referred to.

If you meant "It's easier to spread knowledge and to get people to question their knowledge" then "theirs" is fine.

If you meant "It's easier to spread knowledge and to get people to question their beliefs" then I think you need to say "their beliefs".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry, I missed the spaces after the commas. I agree with emsr2d2 about 'theirs'. I assumed that it referred to 'knowledge, but I now suspect you may have meant it to refer to 'beliefs'.

Alanoud

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
thank you guys you all have been very helpful,and yes i am referring to beliefs

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you guys, you all have been very helpful (no comma) and, yes, I am referring to beliefs.

You're welcome. Please remember that it's important on this forum to use correct written English.

Have a look at my amendments above and note the use of capitalisation and punctuation. Before you hit the Submit button, always re-read your own posts to make sure they're written as correctly as possible.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Before you hit the Submit button, always re-read your own posts to make sure they're written as correctly as possible.
Good advice. I wish I could remember to flloow it. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.