Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've just watched a sketch by The Two Ronnies entitled Crossed Lines. I understood annoyingly little of it. Could you please help me? The video is here.

At 1:10, Corbett says, "Bloomers too large." What did he mean by that? I know bloomers are a kind of underwear and that makes it a joke, but he was talking about something else, right?

At 3:05, he says, "I thought it said 'Oxo'." What does it have to do with a cross-your-heart bra? What does "the opportunity to have a quick butcher's" mean, and why is it funny? And again, what does it have to do with Oxo?

What does a dog leaping into someone's lap have to do with apples?

At 3:53, what's the joke about? I understand he's talking about apples when he says "Cox's Pippins". I think the joke is that it sounds like something else, but I'm not sure what. I can't come up with anything that sounds the same and makes sense. "Cox's" sounds like "cocks his", but that doesn't ring any bells. Is it a sex reference?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've just watched a sketch by The Two Ronnies entitled Crossed Lines. I understood annoyingly little of it. Could you please help me? The video is here.

At 1:10, Corbett says, "Bloomers too large." What did he mean by that? I know bloomers are a kind of underwear and that makes it a joke, but he was talking about something else, right?
Yes he was. He's going through a list of things he tried get at Sainsbury's (a department store).
Bloomers (2, large). I'm not sure what this British idiom is. It could mean flowers - 2 large, blooming flowers.

At 3:05, he says, "I thought it said 'Oxo'." What does it have to do with a cross-your-heart bra? What does "the opportunity to have a quick butcher's" mean, and why is it funny? And again, what does it have to do with Oxo?
I believe "a butcher's" = "a butcher's hook" = "a look" in rhyming slang. The opporunity to have a quick look.
OXO is meant to be a visual symbol for a cross-your-heart bra. I can explain further if necessary.

Not sure about this. I think it was just a transition setting up for a few more gags.

At 3:53, what's the joke about? I understand he's talking about apples when he says "Cox's Pippins". I think the joke is that it sounds like something else, but I'm not sure what. I can't come up with anything that sounds the same and makes sense. "Cox's" sounds like "cocks his", but that doesn't ring any bells. Is it a sex reference?
The dog jumps into your lap and cocks his pippins. This is the Two Ronnies. It's almost certainly a sex reference of some sort, but I'm not sure what "pippins" are (apart from apples). If you've got a weird enough mind, it probably doesn't matter.
Hope that's helped a little.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
bloomer2
nounBrit. a large loaf with diagonal slashes on a rounded top.

There's a picture of one here, but you've to go to the bottom of page 13 to find it.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you both. Now that I understand the Oxo joke, it's very well written, but I wouldn't have understood it ever without your help.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm sure I wouldn't get the joke either. This is the only "Oxxo" I know:

images

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

The joke (not a rib-tickler, in my estimation) is that the two conversations are not related, so when RC says 'Bloomers, 2, large' (repeating a shopping list, and referring to a sort of loaf) we interpret it as 'Bloomers, too large'; it doesn't pay to follow the logic too closely (and ask 'Why does RB hear that?'). This was a sketch written for a prime-time Saturday evening slot, and RB's material typically relied on a joke-like form.

Raymott has put you on the right track with 'OXO' and 'butcher's 'ook/look. You're right about the pun at 3.53 being on 'cocks his' - but the reference is not sexual. The action of a dog raising its hind leg to urinate is known as 'cocking its leg'. In fact, the phrase is so closely associated with urine that 'cocks his leg' (said) of a dog is a sort of euphemism. RB was well enough educated to know the French faire pipi, and I imagine - although the audience weren't expected to pick up this reference - that made him favour the phrase 'Cox's Pippins'.

b

PS ( Have you found the 'fork 'andles' sketch? That one is so famous and well-loved that at his funeral (last year, I think) RB's coffin was surrounded by four candles.)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The joke (not a rib-tickler, in my estimation) is that the two conversations are not related, so when RC says 'Bloomers, 2, large' (repeating a shopping list, and referring to a sort of loaf) we interpret it as 'Bloomers, too large'; it doesn't pay to follow the logic too closely (and ask 'Why does RB hear that?'). This was a sketch written for a prime-time Saturday evening slot, and RB's material typically relied on a joke-like form.

Raymott has put you on the right track with 'OXO' and 'butcher's 'ook/look. You're right about the pun at 3.53 being on 'cocks his' - but the reference is not sexual. The action of a dog raising its hind leg to urinate is known as 'cocking its leg'. In fact, the phrase is so closely associated with urine that 'cocks his leg' (said) of a dog is a sort of euphemism. RB was well enough educated to know the French faire pipi, and I imagine - although the audience weren't expected to pick up this reference - that made him favour the phrase 'Cox's Pippins'.

b

PS ( Have you found the 'fork 'andles' sketch? That one is so famous and well-loved that at his funeral (last year, I think) RB's coffin was surrounded by four candles.)

RB died in 2005. RC is, to the best of my knowledge, still with us.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
More and more people seem to be doing it nowadays - it's hard to keep track.:oops: (You're right about RC.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.