Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I wondered: “What if there had no one to turn to, what if I were single, what is I had no one to look after me when I am at home after my discharge from hospital?

I wondered: “What if there had no one to turn to? What if I were single? What is I had no one to look after me when I am at home after my discharge from hospital?

Which of the above is correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Could someone please help? Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
None of those sentences are correct.

"What if there had no one to turn to" is not grammatical. Have you omitted a word?
In your first example, ", what if I were single?" should have been a full stop and a new sentence.
In both examples, you have put "What is I had no-one ...".

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Which of the below is correct?

I wondered: “What if there had been no one to turn to, what if I weresingle, what if I had no one to look after me when I was at home after my discharge from the hospital?” [We Americans say the hospital. The British might say hospital. One of them can tell you.]

I wondered: “What if there had been no one to turn to? What if I were single? What if I had no one to look after me when I was at home after my discharge from hospital?”

Which of the above is correct?

Thanks.

The second is more standard, but both are acceptable. Normally, we would separate the three sentences. You might want to connect them with commas for artistic effect, but you should probably stick to normal usage and structure until you know that you're completely fluent in the language.

You're welcome!

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:-D
My guess is that the OP probably meant either 'What if there were no one [...]' or 'What if I had no one [...]'

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi.:-D
I wondered: “What if there had been no one to turn to, what if I weresingle, what if I had no one to look after me when I was at home after my discharge from the hospital?” [We Americans say the hospital. The British might say hospital. One of them can tell you.]

Is it possible here to have the colon after I wondered and question mark at the end of that sentence, please?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks to all the members who responded.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My guess is that the OP probably meant either 'What if there were no one [...]' or 'What if I had no one [...]'

Very possibly. But made sense to me as written: What if there hadn't been anyone to turn to? Then I'd be in deep doo-wah-diddy right now!

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong

Hi tzufujiminon,

You are correct.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks to all the members who responded.

Clicking the 'Thank' button on each useful reply would have saved everybody's time, Tan Elaine.

Status
Not open for further replies.