Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi!

I've found these sentences:

1. We had just startedto eat when we heard someone knocking at the door.
2. Shortly after he had gone to sleep there was a knock on the door.

Now I'm confused which one is right: 'a knock on the door' or 'a knock at the door'. Is there any difference in the meaning?

Thank you!

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi!

Now I'm confused which one is right: 'a knock on the door' or 'a knock at the door'. Is there any difference in the meaning?

Thank you!

They are functionally the same.
Either one is correct - it is simply a matter of style.

=============================
Not a teacher, 53-year-old American.

mykwyner

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"a knock on the door"
"a knock at the door"

I agree that they function the same as noun phrases, but not as verb phrases.

In my dialect, I would knock on the door to see if someone was home, but I would never knock at the door. To me, this implies that I am knocking on something other than the door itself.

killen001

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Sweden
This is how I read it:

1. We had just started to eat when we heard someone knocking at the door.

This answers the question: "Where did the knocking take place?" "At the door."

And this is more like "on what object did the (presumed) knocker knock?" "on the door"

momule

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If I wish to be allowed in the door then I would knock on the door. To say that you would knock at the door suggests that perhaps you tried to knock on it but missed hitting it with your hand.

If I am playing the game of baseball and I want to hit the ball with the bat then I would say that I am swinging at the ball because there is a good chance that I will miss the ball when I swing.

If I am in my car on the street in front of the house I would say that I am looking at the door and not looking on the door.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If I wish to be allowed in the door then I would knock on the door. To say that you would knock at the door suggests that perhaps you tried to knock on it but missed hitting it with your hand.

There could be a difference between variants here as it doesn't suggest this to me; knock at the door sounds normal enough to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm standing AT the door, knocking. I'm knocking at the door.

I may be knocking ON the door. I may be knocking on the door-frame. I may be knocking on the siding of the house next to the door. I may be knocking on the window next too the door. I may be knocking on the post supporting the porch roof. But, I am at the door - knocking.

To those inside - all they know is that someone is knocking. They may assume the knocker is knocking ON the door. But, for certain, there is someone AT the door, knocking.

In common AmE usage - these are functionally the same thing. I agree there is a nuance here that most native-speakers do not pay attention to, though.

Jesus said, "Behold, I stand AT the door and knock."
Some new translations may have this as, "I'm knocking ON the door of your heart."

Sir Paul McCartney said, "Someone's knocking AT the door."
Would the song have sold as many copies, if the lyric was, "Someone's knocking ON the door."?

and that's my opinion.

momule

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just for the sake of fun, do we ring a bell or do we strike it in some fashion in order to make it ring? We certainly don't ring many doorbells since they're typically electric and located out of reach inside the house, but we do push the doorbell button in order to make that mechanism ring.
I would agree that from McCartney's perspective "Knocking at the door" and Ringing the bell" have a much better flow than any other option that I could consider. Your opinion is well taken and I will accept that on some level these are mere nuances with the same functionality.

Vladimir_al

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Albanian
Home Country
Albania
Current Location
Albania
Hi!

Thank you!

Both they are correct .

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just for the sake of fun, do we ring a bell or do we strike it in some fashion in order to make it ring?
I 'ring the bell', or just 'ring'.

"I've rung, but nobody's answering. Strange. He said he'd be home."

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Sir Paul McCartney said, "Someone's knocking AT the door."
Would the song have sold as many copies, if the lyric was, "Someone's knocking ON the door."?

It did't stop Knocking on Heaven's door selling plenty of copies, but would that have done so well if Mr Dylan had used at?. ;-)

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

If the subject is doing the knocking, it's knock ON the door. "I knocked ON the door" not "I knocked AT the door."

If the subject is hearing a noise, it depends. "I heard a knock at the door." "I heard a knock on the door." No difference, really.

If you specify in your sentence that you heard another person performing the action, it's ON again. "I heard someone knocking ON the door" not "I heard someone knocking AT the door."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Re: not a teacher

If the subject is doing the knocking, it's knock ON the door. "I knocked ON the door" not "I knocked AT the door."
That may very well be true when you are the speaker. That does not mean that it has to be so when others speak, as we have seen in this thread.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That may very well be true when you are the speaker. That does not mean that it has to be so when others speak, as we have seen in this thread.

You wouldn't say "He knocked AT the door" either.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

opa6x57

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Because you wouldn't. Who knows why?

I disagree. Not only would it be proper to say, "He knocked at the door." I have used that in everyday speech. I've heard others use it in everyday speech. (AmE!)

This statement answers the question, "Where was he when he knocked?" It does not answer the question, "What was he knocking on?"

However, in my opinion, this is a distinction without a real difference.

The fact communicated in either case (He knocked at/on the door.) is that "HE" wanted to attract the attention of those inside - by knocking.
He was AT the door - knocking ON something (maybe the door, maybe the door-frame) to do that.

… and that’s my opinion

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

RobertT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Indonesian
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Australia
I'm not a native speaker but in my opinion, "knock AT the door" implies the location of the person doing the knocking. In this case, it is somewhere close to the door or "at the door".

Therefore, I tend to think "he knocks at the door" as equivalent to "he stands in front of the door and he knocks"

As for "knock on the door", to me, it has a literal meaning of knocking the hand against the door. This phrase only describes the action of knocking. In common sense, it should therefore imply the location of the person albeit indirectly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.