Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Good afternoon, teachers.
If you have any questions, please tell me.
In this sentence, is the word any used here right? Why not use some?
And is the word questions right? Or should I use its single form question?
Thank you!:-D

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Good afternoon, teachers.
If you have any questions, please tell me.
In this sentence, is the word any used here right? Why not use some?
And is the word questions right? Or should I use its single form question?
Thank you!:-D
The original sentence is fine.

lovecindy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The original sentence is fine.
Can I say 'If you have some questions, please tell me.' or 'If you have any question, please tell me.' Are these both sentences right?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The original question is best. Stick to that one.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Can I say 'If you have some questions, please tell me.' or 'If you have any questions, please tell me.' Are [STRIKE]these[/STRIKE] both these sentences right?
Both are acceptable. 'Some' suggests a restriction - the speaker feels that the person addressed may well have a number of questions in mind; 'any' is unrestricted - the person may or may not have questions,

'Any' is therefore more likely, unless the speakers sees that the person addressed appears to be waiting for the chance to ask questions.

lovecindy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Both are acceptable. 'Some' suggests a restriction - the speaker feels that the person addressed may well have a number of questions in mind; 'any' is unrestricted - the person may or may not have questions,

'Any' is therefore more likely, unless the speakers sees that the person addressed appears to be waiting for the chance to ask questions.

Thank you! But my colleagues insist that 'any' cannot be used in front of plural nouns in positive sentences. Is that right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you! But my colleagues insist that 'any' cannot be used in front of plural nouns in positive sentences. Is that right?
No, your colleagues are wrong.

lovecindy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, your colleagues are wrong.

Can you tell why 'any' can be used in front of plural nouns in positive sentences? Is it because of 'if'? They say 'if you have some questions' is correct.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I thought I was becoming absent-minded, responding to questions and forgetting to submit them. I now see that you are running two threads on the same topic. Please don't do that it can lead to confusing and contradictory answers.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For purposes of choosing between 'some' and 'any', note that conditional sentences (denoting hypothetical situations) are treated essentially as interrogatives. Thus

If you have any problems, I'll help you.

is correct, while

*I had any problems, but you didn't help me.

is not!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For purposes of choosing between 'some' and 'any', note that conditional sentences (denoting hypothetical situations) are treated essentially as interrogatives. Thus

If you have any problems, I'll help you.......is correct, while (But, 'If you have some problems' can also be correct.)

*I had any problems, but you didn't help me........is not!
I don't see any justification for considering conditional sentences as interrogatives.

In your first example, a conditional construction probably representing an offer, 'any' is unrestricted.

In your second example, there were a number of problems, so the restricted 'some' is appropriate.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't see any justification for considering conditional sentences as interrogatives.

In your first example, a conditional construction probably representing an offer, 'any' is unrestricted.

In your second example, there were a number of problems, so the restricted 'some' is appropriate.

Allow me to elucidate: conditional subordinate clauses are similar to interrogative main clauses, and correspondingly dissimilar to affirmative main clauses, with respect to their ability to combine with indefinite pronouns and adjectives in the manner demonstrated, as the cited examples prove.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Allow me to elucidate: conditional subordinate clauses are similar to interrogative main clauses, and correspondingly dissimilar to affirmative main clauses, with respect to their ability to combine with indefinite pronouns and adjectives in the manner demonstrated, as the cited examples prove.
That's just a little different from saying, as you did, "For purposes of choosing between 'some' and 'any', note that conditional sentences (denoting hypothetical situations) are treated essentially as interrogatives."

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's just a little different from saying, as you did, "For purposes of choosing between 'some' and 'any', note that conditional sentences (denoting hypothetical situations) are treated essentially as interrogatives."

In context, I would say essentially the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.