Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Does "I miss you" mean I am hot? Is it acceptable to be used/uttered by polite and educated people?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Does "I miss you" mean I am hot? Is it acceptable to be used/uttered by polite and educated people?

What on earth makes you think that "I miss you" suggests that you are hot? :shock:

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
What on earth makes you think that "I miss you" suggests that you are hot? :shock:

:up:
That expression is commonly used among tomboys nowadays, of course, locally. And I am sure that I was told that the implied meaning of that expression is "I am hot". Honestly, I just wanted to make sure that the opposite is true. Grateful!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea where that idea has come from unless it is just a local thing. I can't really understand why tomboys would use it any more than anyone else. Girls who behave more like boys (that's what tomboys are) usually go down the route of not expressing their feelings, in order to seem more boy-like. Unless it's a very specific implied meaning locally to you, then I think the person who told you this gave you incorrect information. I can't see any logic behind a statement which means "I haven't seen you for a long time and that has made me a little bit sad" could possibly mean "I am very beautiful".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can't see any logic behind a statement which means "I haven't seen you for a long time and that has made me a little bit sad" could possibly mean "I am very beautiful".
I am showing my age. I thought 'I am hot' meant that the speaker was feeling too warm and might prefer to be cooler.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am showing my age. I thought 'I am hot' meant that the speaker was feeling too warm and might prefer to be cooler.
I have a feeling that the reported usage may have something to do with emotional (OK, sexual) warmth. Perhaps it's obliquely referring to what, in any other animal. is called 'being on heat' [=in oestrus - ready to mate].

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
F​or the life of me, I still can't imagine why "I miss you" could be construed as meaning any of those things. I miss my cat when I go to work. I miss my late aunt. I miss an old friend I used to work with. If I tell them I miss them, why would they think I meant "I'm gorgeous! I'm on heat!"?

I'm still in the dark as to why it only means that when spoken by tomboys in the OP's culture.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

No, it simply means that you are thinking about the other person and would like them to be back soon.
Naturally, it can take on any of those meanings, dependent on your relationship.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Rover_KE