Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi Everyone!

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right thread, but I'm right now taking the Highbrow Speak English fluently training(?) and the second day task is to write a transcript of a conservation and have it proofread. The e-mail said that here might be someone how is willing to proofread my work. I'm preparing for advanced level exam and also taking part in a lot of interviews lately where sometimes have to talk about my professional experience in english, so I decided to write a transcript of that, I didn't use any kind of help to write this, because I think it is how I would have said it at an actual interview. I realize it might be a bit long, but if you have any suggestions I've very happy to read them.

So here is the transcript:

- Could you tell us about your professional experience?

- Of course, I started working at the Municipality as an Intern after I finished my studies, I worked part time, 30 hours per week, helping the Project Management Department. My tasks included writing memos of meeting, reviewing EU co-funded calls for proposals and ad hoc type tasks. I was promoted before the end of my internship in October 2013, I became a Project Officer. My job included the management of different 'soft' projects for example writing the text for decisions for the General Assembly, organizing project events, coordination of meetings. As a project assistant for our international project I've taken part in the assembly of progress reports and payment requests. My daily tasks included keeping in contact with different departments and partners, sometimes international.

-Thank you, could you tell me about your time as a proposal writr assistant and why did you leave that position so quickly?

- Yes, as a proposal writer assistant I worked together wit a senior proposal writer. We prepared and submitted the proposals of micro-, small- and medium sized enterprises, mainly capacity building projects. As an assistan I had the oppurtunity to learn how to write a proposal, what the requirements a project should pass and how to create a project budget. However, I had very limited responsibility and my tasks were highly monotonous. I had the chance through one of my friends, to become a junior consultant, that was a much better learning opportunity, so I took it.

- As a junior consultant what exactly did you do at this firm?

-
This company as a part of a consotria were responsible for the implementation of several large projects, made up of different elements, like local development events for the underprivilaged, creation of an e-learning site and an online health measuring system, and productivity training for teachers. As a junior I was responsible for the local programme elemnets. I had to make sure everything was done in time and documented soundly. This meant I had to be in close relations with our client and our subcontractors also.

- You mention a propsal writing taks at this company in you CV, what was that about?

- Some of our parners aksed us to write proposals for them for a call of action. The mjunicipalities wanted to develop the segregated areas in theri cities, the proposals included human development elements mainly training and events for the inhabitants of said areas. I was responsible for the preparation, including writing a preparatory, study and the submission of a proposal under the call. I was also the appointed workgroup leader for the submission of the corrections asked by the Intermediate Body.

-Thank you I have no more questions regarding this topic.

Thanks for any advice!

Best,
Mark

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my humble opinion, you have posted in the right forum.

Perhaps you mean to say:

highbrow spoken English fluency training.

This one is a bit long. Perhaps we could take turns leaving comments. (I don't know whose turn it is next.)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi Everyone!
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right sub-forum, [STRIKE]thread,[/STRIKE] but I'm right now taking the Highbrow Speak English fluently [You got that right because that's how it appears on their website, though I don't know why they didn't capitalize "fluently."] program/course, [STRIKE]training(?)[/STRIKE] and the second-day task is to write a transcript of a conservation and have it proofread. The e-mail said that here might be someone [STRIKE]how[/STRIKE] who is willing to proofread my work. I'm preparing for the advanced-level exam and have also been taking part in a lot of interviews lately where sometimes I have to talk about my professional experience in English, so I decided to write a transcript of that. I didn't use any kind of help to write this, because I think it is how I would have said it at an actual interview. I realize it might be a bit long, but if you have any suggestions [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] I'd be very happy to read them.

So here is the transcript:

- Could you tell us about your professional experience?

- Of course. I started working at the Municipality as an intern after I finished my studies. I worked part time, 30 hours per week, helping the Project Management Department. My tasks included writing memos of meeting [What does that mean?], reviewing EU co-funded calls for proposals and ad hoc type tasks [Do you mean "various other tasks" or "miscellaneous typing tasks?"]. I was promoted before the end of my internship in October 2013, and I became a Project Officer. My job included the management of different 'soft' projects; for example, writing the text for decisions for the General Assembly, organizing project events, and coordination of meetings. As a project assistant for our international projects, I've taken part in the assembly of progress reports and payment requests. My daily tasks included keeping in contact with different departments and partners, sometimes international ones.

-Thank you, could you tell me about your time as a proposal writer assistant and why did you leave that position so quickly?

- Yes, as a proposal writer assistant, I worked together with a senior proposal writer. We prepared and submitted the proposals of micro-, small- and medium-sized enterprises, and they were mainly capacity-building projects. As an assistant, I had the opportunity to learn how to write a proposal, what [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] requirements a project should fulfill [STRIKE]pass[/STRIKE] and how to create a project budget. However, I had very limited responsibility and my tasks were highly monotonous. I had the chance through one of my friends, to become a junior consultant, and I saw that [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] as a much better learning opportunity, so I took it.

- As a junior consultant, what exactly did you do [STRIKE]at this[/STRIKE] in that firm?

-
[STRIKE]This[/STRIKE] That company [STRIKE]as a[/STRIKE] is part of a consortium [STRIKE]ria were[/STRIKE] responsible for the implementation of several large projects, [STRIKE]made up of different elements, like[/STRIKE] including local development events for the underprivileged, creation of an e-learning site and an online health-assessment [STRIKE]measuring[/STRIKE] system, and productivity training for teachers. As a junior, I was responsible for the local programme elements. I had to make sure everything was done [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] on time and documented soundly. This meant I had to be in close [STRIKE]relations[/STRIKE] contact with our client and our subcontractors also.

- You mention a proposal-writing task [STRIKE]at this[/STRIKE] with that company in your CV. What was that about?

- Some of our partners asked us to write call-to-action proposals for them. [STRIKE]for a call of action.[/STRIKE] The municipalities wanted to develop the segregated areas in their cities, and the proposals included human development elements - mainly training and events for the [STRIKE]inhabitants of said[/STRIKE] residents of those areas. I was responsible for the preparation, including writing a preparatory study, and the submission of a proposal under the call. I was also the appointed workgroup leader for the submission of the corrections [STRIKE]asked[/STRIKE] requested by the Intermediate Body.

-Thank you. I have no more questions for now. We've got a few more people to interview and will be in touch with you soon. [STRIKE]regarding this topic.[/STRIKE]

Thanks for any advice!

Best,
Mark

reifm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi teechar!

Thank you for your help, I'm really grateful that you took time to help me better my english. Regarding your questions:

writing memos of meeting[What does that mean?]
- I wanted to say that my tasks included writing summaries or memorandums of meetings I have taken part in.

ad hoc type tasks
- I meant "various other tasks" or tasks that came up randomly everyday (tasks like going to another department for documents, making a presentation and so on)

And sorry for the huge number of typos, usually I'm more punctual, guess I was a bit tired when I wrote this.

Thanks again!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Thank you for your help. I'm really grateful that you took the time to help me improve my English.

And:

Sorry for all the typos. Usually I'm more careful.

(The word "punctual" doesn't apply here.)

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Status
Not open for further replies.