[Grammar] "People often spend as much time worrying about the future as planning for it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as planning for it."

Hello all,
Are these sentences equivalent?

"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as planning for it."

"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as they often spend (as much time) planning for it."

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: "People often spend as much time worrying about the future as planning for it."

"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as planning for it.":tick:

"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as they often spend (as much time) planning for it.":cross:
Only the first is possible. "Often" applies equally to the phrases before and after as.​ It's wrong to repeat it.

ambitious-girl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Re: "People often spend as much time worrying about the future as planning for it."

Only the first is possible. "Often" applies equally to the phrases before and after as.​ It's wrong to repeat it.

I am not sure if I can ask my question into other posts. Sorry about that.

If we make the changes below, do these alternative versions make sense?

"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as they spend planning for it."

"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as they do planning for it."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I am not sure if I [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] have to ask my question [STRIKE]into[/STRIKE] in another [STRIKE]posts[/STRIKE] post. Sorry about that.

If [STRIKE]we[/STRIKE] I make the changes below, does this alternative version make sense?
"People often spend as much time worrying about the future as they spend planning for it."

Your alternative version is OK. Most native speakers would use "as they do planning for it" at the end to avoid the repetition of "spend".

Status
Not open for further replies.