Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
This week I assigned my students to write a notice based on the following situation:
(From
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/155516-notice-english-speech-contest.html)

Is to write incorrect but is "the task of writing" correct? The example below makes me think that to write is correct too?

▪ They assigned me the job of cleaning the equipment. = They assigned the job of cleaning the equipment to me. = They assigned me to clean the equipment.
(From
http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/assign)

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

sunsunmoon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Japan
Hello emsr2d2,

Could I ask why you've changed "to write" into "the task of writing"? I'm just curious whether your version sounds better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello emsr2d2,

Could I ask why you've changed "to write" into "the task of writing"? I'm just curious whether your version sounds better.

I think this refers back to a different thread but if I remember rightly you wrote "I have assigned my students to write..." and I changed it to "I have assigned my students the task of writing..."

In my opinion, you don't "assign + verb".

I personally disagree with bennevis that "They assigned me to clean the equipment" is correct. I would have changed that to "They assigned me to the equipment-cleaning team" or "They assigned me the task of cleaning the equipment".

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I think this refers back to a different thread but if I remember rightly you wrote "I have assigned my students to write..." and I changed it to "I have assigned my students the task of writing..."

In my opinion, you don't "assign + verb".

I personally disagree with bennevis that "They assigned me to clean the equipment" is correct. I would have changed that to "They assigned me to the equipment-cleaning team" or "They assigned me the task of cleaning the equipment".

It's actually not me you disagree with. It's the creators of that dictionary. I presume they were born in an English-speaking country. Have you followed the link above?

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The following year the New Yorker assigned him to write about the Grand Ole Opry, which inspired him to put together his own show and the first A Prairie Home Companion was broadcast later that year.

Nicholas Wroe
The Guardian, Saturday 6 March 2004

Is it possible you just didn't know we could say it this way?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following year the New Yorker assigned him to write about the Grand Ole Opry, which inspired him to put together his own show and the first A Prairie Home Companion was broadcast later that year.

Nicholas Wroe
The Guardian, Saturday 6 March 2004

Is it possible you just didn't know we could say it this way?

Anything's possible and I have always been more of a "use of English" teacher than anything else, that is to say, I teach what is most commonly used in day-to-day English by the majority of English speakers.

I apologise for having said I disagreed with you. I was reading these posts on my phone and the links don't show up, it simply appeared that you had written "All three are correct".

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
to assign

to provide a person for a particular task or position
assign somebody (to something/as something) They've assigned their best man to the job.
assign somebody to do something
British forces have been assigned to help with peacekeeping.

You don't have to apologize. I do notice that in dictionaries the passive voice is used in such cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.