Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When we talk about what a religion teaches, can we refer to what is taught as "religious teaching'? Or should it be 'religious teachings'?

Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd say 'teaching'.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When we talk about what a religion teaches, can we refer to what is taught as "religious teaching'? Or should it be 'religious teachings'?

Thanks.

Although "teaching" is usually uncountable, when it comes to religion or philosophy, "teachings" is often used -- the teachings of Jesus, the teachings of Buddha, etc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It really depends on the context- if referring to the body of thought, I'd be more likely to use the plural, but if thinking of it as one strand of thought alongside others like law, I might use the singular. What was the sentence you wanted to use it in?

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
It really depends on the context- if referring to the body of thought, I'd be more likely to use the plural, but if thinking of it as one strand of thought alongside others like law, I might use the singular. What was the sentence you wanted to use it in?
Thanks, Tdol.

No sentence. But I read in Buddhist articles, the phrase used. Sometimes I see 'religious teaching' and on other occasions 'religious teachings'. That confuses me.

Status
Not open for further replies.