Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
After moderator Barb_D ordered from me to write simple sentences in order to test me whether I can do errors or not. So, here is a list of sentences need to be checked. I don’t think that there are mistakes maybe at least one or two but if you get three or more mistakes it will be a tragedy for me.

By the way Abstract noun phrase is very hard to me. For example, when I change an active voice to abstract noun phrase is what its necessary for me is adding the verb with gerund or what?

---Simple Present Tense---
Active Voice: Tom plays football with his friends.
Passive Voice: The football is played with Tom’s friends.
Abstract Noun phrase: The playing’s of football make Tom very happy.

---Future Tense---
Active Voice: Sagna will go to France after the World Cup competition.
Passive Voice: France will be gone after the World Cup competition.
Abstract Noun phrase: The going to France will be after the World Cup Competition.

---Simple Past Tense---
Active Voice: The cleaner mopped the floor yesterday.
Passive Voice: The floor was mopped yesterday.
Abstract Noun phrase: The mopping of the floor made it clean.

---Present Continuous Tense---
Active Voice: Peter is posting a letter to his French friend.
Passive Voice: A letter is being posting to Peter’s French friend.
Abstract Noun phrase: The posting’s of letter made my company famous.

---Past Continuous Tense---
Active Voice: Sally was meeting her friend outside the post company.
Passive Voice: Sally’s friend was being met outside the post company.
Abstract Noun phrase: The meeting’s of sally outside the post company was an astounding for her.

Finally, I want to announce that there are remains of other kinds of sentences like present perfect tense so I will post it tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Re: 15 Simple Sentences

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

I will try to help as best I can :)

After moderator Barb_D ordered from me to write simple sentences in order to test me whether I can do errors or not. So, here is a list of sentences need to be checked. I don’t think that there are mistakes maybe at least one or two but if you get three or more mistakes it will be a tragedy for me.

By the way Abstract noun phrase is very hard to me. For example, when I change an active voice to abstract noun phrase is what its necessary for me is adding the verb with gerund or what?

---Simple Present Tense---
Active Voice: Tom plays football with his friends.
Passive Voice: Football is played with Tom’s friends. - not sure if it's possible anyway...
Abstract Noun phrase: The playings of football makes Tom very happy.
Why not: Playing football makes Tom very happy. :?:
"The Playings" -> I don't know if its good.

---
Future Tense---
Active Voice: Sagna will go to France after the World Cup competition.
Passive Voice: France will be gone after the World Cup competition. -> If this sentence is right, I'll be extremely suprised...
Abstract Noun phrase: The going to France will be after the World Cup Competition.

---Simple Past Tense---
Active Voice: The cleaner mopped the floor yesterday.
Passive Voice: The floor was mopped (by the cleaner) yesterday.
Abstract Noun phrase: The mopping of the floor made it clean.

---Present Continuous Tense---
Active Voice: Peter is posting a letter to his French friend.
Passive Voice: A letter is being posted to Peter’s French friend. -> It is okay, but does it automatically mean that Peter is posting it?
Abstract Noun phrase: The postings of letters made my company famous. -> Although I prefer posting, I would not say postings is wrong, but there is no need to add a ' (postings = ok, posting's = not ok)

---Past Continuous Tense---
Active Voice: Sally met her friend outside the post company.
Passive Voice: Sally’s friend was [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] met outside the post company.
Abstract Noun phrase: The meetings of sally outside the post company was an astounding for her.

Finally, I want to announce that there are remains of other kinds of sentences like present perfect tense so I will post it tomorrow.

Hint:
If you use being (in a passive sentence), its active version needs the progressive form.

Active: Tom is writing a letter.
Passive: A letter is being written by Tom.

Active: Tom writes a letter.
Passive: A letter is written by Tom.

Let's compare now:
Passive Voice: Sally’s friend was [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] met outside the post company.

I hope you can see and understand the difference, when to use being and when not.

However, I must honestly tell you that I cannot say if all your other sentences are fully okay.
The red sentence (with France) sounds very very strange to me.

Cheers!

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

I will try to help as best I can :)

Hint:
If you use being (in a passive sentence), its active version needs the progressive form.

Active: Tom is writing a letter.
Passive: A letter is being written by Tom.

Active: Tom writes a letter.
Passive: A letter is written by Tom.

Let's compare now:

I hope you can see and understand the difference, when to use being and when not.

However, I must honestly tell you that I cannot say if all your other sentences are fully okay.
The red sentence (with France) sounds very very strange to me.

Cheers!

Firstly, thank you Nightmare85 for you help and we will wait for others to say something. As I said, more than three mistakes will be tragedy for me really its tragedy. My sentences about active voice are very good.

The problem is about Passive voice, moderator Barb_D said to me in my previous thread "One of the keys to the passive voice is that you do not need to say who does the action. When the ball is thrown to Peter, he catches it. (I notice you said he catches it instead of drops it.) You don't need to say "by Mary". so, I was trying to eliminate the person who does the action from passive tenses.

Abstract noun phrase, you really explained to me wrong as I think, my dad said to me that we should behave as possessive pronoun like this:
The + playing's + of + football (or other thing). maybe I need an explanation about it.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

You're welcome :)

The + playing's + of + football (or other thing). maybe I need an explanation about it.

But playings is plural, and there is no need to add an '.
And as said, I don't see a reason to add an s at all either.

The + playing + of + football.
This sounds okay to me!

Who cleaned the floor?
Active Voice: The cleaner mopped the floor.
Passive Voice: The floor was mopped by the cleaner.

I would add the "by the cleaner".
In real life, you will never use the active version and the passive version.

So if you just say, "The letter was written", "The floor was mopped" etc, everyone could ask, "By whom?"

I think
Barb_D meant that you don't need to add the "by Mary" for the practice sentences.

Active: Tom throws snowballs at me.
Passive: Snowballs are thrown at me.

It's clear that they're thrown at me "by Tom", but only because I've already used the active version, otherwise you would never know that Tom did it ;-)

Cheers!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hi again.

I didn't "order" you to do anything - I begged.

A few things about the passive:
1. Remember that passive only works when there is a DIRECT object: Throw the ball, post the letter, mop the floor, meet your friend.

It doesn't work with an object of a preposition: Go to France. You can't make make a natural passive sentence with this. (There are exceptions - This bed was been slept in by George Washington. But these are exceptions.)

2. Passives won't sound natural most of the time with a progressive tense.
I am meeting my friend: My friend is being met -- This is not natural.
My mom is making dinner: Dinner is being made. -- This is not natural.
Yes, it's correct grammatically, and yes, there are some circumstances when these work, but not usually. For example, you land at the airport and someone offers you a ride. You can say "No thanks. I'm being met." But for now, I encourage you (not "order" you) to use simple present, past, or future, not progressive.

3. You MAY omit the doer, but it's not a requirement. A passive sentence is still correct with the doer, and sometimes will sound funny without it. (Did you hear about Mary? She was bit by a brown recluse! [that's a venomous spider].) You can include it or not, but I wanted you to know it's usually okay to omit it.

None of the abstract noun versions sound close to what any native speaker would ever say. I suggest you leave that out of your sets of sentences for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.