Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
English idiom wanted to say respect

Hello, everybody!

I am struggling with the translation of an idiom and I knew there are some great places where people like you gather. So I registered, and I would like to hear your opinion about it. It will be interesting, I promise!

In Hungary, we have a custom that if a very well-known, famous and noted public figure dies, the society he / she was most working with states in a press conference that they "consider him/her as their own dead". That is to say that he/she was such a great man, and he / she was such a pillar of the society, that we are proud that he/she was a member of us - which, coming from an otherwise very respected society, is a form of honour giving. Now I have to translate this idiom to English, and I am struck.

The literal translation, as given above, is nearly unknown in the Google. Is there a matching English idiom to this? Or this is simply a custom unknown in English-speaking countries?

The problem is even more interesting because the text I am working on uses a wordplay on this custom: it says that "we consider him as our own living", meaning that he will be influential and respected forever.

Great stuff, isn't it? :) Thank you in advance!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.
We are happy to have you, and I'm personally very happy you used capital letters and punctuation. Thank you for that.

I wonder if "We are/were proud to claim him as one of our own" might work.
Or we might say something like "Benjamin Franklin was Philadelphia's favorite son."

Let's see what others suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sorry for going off-topic, but can I replace "he/she" with "they" and "his/her" with "their"?
Thanks.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As for the word play, "our own living", you could say, "And we consider that he continues to remain one of our own".

Status
Not open for further replies.