Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I’d only gone to a club once, back in ninth grade. That had been when Mom and I were living in Chicago, and I’d had a brief flirtation with rebelliousness. I’d gone to some gross black hole of a room with a girl named Cindy Lewis who’d worn way too much eyeliner and smoked clove cigarettes. My main memories of that night included music that was so loud I was sure I’d done some permanent damage to my eardrums, and some guy who smelled like a brewery grabbing my leg and attempting to slobber all over my face. So yeah, clubs were not exactly my favorite places.

Anewguest

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
***Not a teacher***

Well, I guess this means that it was a very dark room.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I’d only gone to a club once, back in ninth grade. That had been when Mom and I were living in Chicago, and I’d had a brief flirtation with rebelliousness. I’d gone to some gross black hole of a room with a girl named Cindy Lewis who’d worn way too much eyeliner and smoked clove cigarettes. My main memories of that night included music that was so loud I was sure I’d done some permanent damage to my eardrums, and some guy who smelled like a brewery grabbing my leg and attempting to slobber all over my face. So yeah, clubs were not exactly my favorite places.

Gross = disgusting.

Black hole - I would say that not only does this mean it was very dark, but also possibly another way of saying that it wasn't a very nice place. It would refer to the "Black Hole of Calcutta", an Indian fort with such bad conditions that prisoners frequently died there from suffocation, heat exhaustion and crushing.

Edit: I just thought of another possibility for "black hole". It could a reference to the astronomical sort of black hole - a giant vacuum that swallows things whole, never to be seen again. At my previous job, we had an office in London which was famous for losing things that we posted to them. It appeared that everything we sent them would just disappear into the building and no-one could ever find it again. We always used to refer to it as "the black hole of Xxxxxx Street"!

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Tinkerbell,
I love the quote and would like to read more. Where does it come from?

dreamwarrior

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Very informative discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.