[General] Different Pronunciation of 'Consideration'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

According to many dictionaries, the pronunciation of 'Consideration' should be kən ˌsɪd ə ˈreɪʃ but sometimes I hear people would say
kən ˌsɪdruː ˈreɪʃ
, I was wondering if it is a correct pronunciation, is it common in native speaking world? Please advise. Thanks.

W

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Where would they use this form?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi Everybody,

According to many dictionaries, the pronunciation of 'Consideration' should be kən ˌsɪd ə ˈreɪʃ but sometimes I hear people would say
kən ˌsɪdruː ˈreɪʃ
, I was wondering if it is a correct pronunciation, is it common in native speaking world? Please advise. Thanks.

W
No, it's not correct; and no, it sounds very strange.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Perhaps my phonetics expression was not correct, should be
kənˌsɪdr
ə ˈreɪʃ , have you ever heard this pronunciation?
No.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other

How about the pronunciation of 'Wondering'? When hear the song 'It might be you', the singer will pronounce 'Wondering' as Wondring, the sound of 'e' would be dropped....if so, can we drop the 'e' sound in the 'consideration', like 'considration'?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
How about the pronunciation of 'Wondering'? When hear the song 'It might be you', the singer will pronounce 'Wondering' as Wondring, the sound of 'e' would be dropped....if so, can we drop the 'e' sound in the 'consideration', like 'considration'?
No, you can't. You're probably just missing the schwa between 'd' and 'r', and hearing a longer 'r'.
Yes, you might hear 'wondring' but I doubt you'd hear 'wondrering' - though the first might sound like 'wondrring'. There is no variant of any of these words where in 'r' is inserted, as in 'considreration'.

Pronunciations in songs don't count. Nor do speech defects.

Are you working on some scholarly account of English pronunciation? Let's say you did hear someone idiosyncratically say 'considreration'. Of what importance would that be to you?

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
No, you can't. You're probably just missing the schwa between 'd' and 'r', and hearing a longer 'r'.
Yes, you might hear 'wondring' but I doubt you'd hear 'wondrering' - though the first might sound like 'wondrring'. There is no variant of any of these words where in 'r' is inserted, as in 'considreration'.

Pronunciations in songs don't count. Nor do speech defects.

Are you working on some scholarly account of English pronunciation? Let's say you did hear someone idiosyncratically say 'considreration'. Of what importance would that be to you?

Please click the url to listen the following audio:

Do you think he pronounce 'Considering' as kənˌsɪdrə ˈr[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]ɪŋ[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], not [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]kən ˈsɪd‿ [FONT=&quot]ə [FONT=&quot]r ɪŋ[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]?

We are carefully considering your suggestion.
Download Considering - MP3 Ringtone Considering by Considering - Free Music Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.