How to write a letter to a school for asking about their scholarships?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I want to study abroad in England and I will write a letter to a school asking about their scholarships. But I don't know how to write a letter in a formal way. :roll: Please give me some recommendation! :)

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thank you for your guide. Here is my letter's form, please take a look and leave me some comments:
Dear Madam/Sir,
My name is Devon Pham and I am ....years old and will be ... this December. I am a Vietnamese student and I study in Hanoi-Amsterdam school.
I love and want to study abroad in England. My teacher recommended that ... is the best high school for me. I have visited your school's website and everything of the school impressed me so much. I would like to know if your school has some scholarships for foreigners.
Thank you very much for spending time to read this letter! I hope that you will reply me as soon as possible.
Yours Faithfully,
Devon Pham

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Here are some suggestions for a rewrite:

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Devon Pham. I am ....years old and will be ... this December. I am a Vietnamese student studying at Hanoi-Amsterdam school.

I love England and want to study there. My teacher recommended that ... would be the best high school for me. I have visited your school's website and everything about the school impressed me very much.

I would like to know if your school has any scholarships available for foreigners.

Thank you very much for spending time reading this letter. I hope that you will reply as soon as possible.

Yours faithfully,

Devon Pham

Rover

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Should I write "at Hanoi-Amsterdam school" or "in Hanoi-Amsterdam school", Mr.Rover?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
At is better.

Rover

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Write a letter to an England school

Hello, teachers and friends who are reading my thread.
I am going to write a letter to an England school. Please take a look at my letter's form and leave me comments:
---

Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is Devon Pham. I am ... years old and will be ... this December. I am a Vietnamese student studying at Hanoi-Amsterdam school.
I love England and want to study there. I found a homestay in East Sussex and the host family will be my guardians in England. ... is a school also located in East Sussex. I have visited your school's website and everything about the school impressed me much.
I would like to know if you would give me admission to study in your school the next year.
Your faithfully,
Devon Pham

---
Thank you!

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello again, Mr.Rover. I decided to write a letter to a school in England but not ask for the scholarships. So what the letter is for, please read through my letter's form and leave me comments:

---
Dear Sir/Madam,
My name is Devon Pham. I am ... years old and will be ... this December. I am a Vietnamese student studying at Hanoi-Amsterdam school.
I love England and want to study there. I found a homestay in East Sussex and the host family will be my guardians in England. ... is a school also located in East Sussex. I have visited your school's website and everything about the school impressed me much.
I would like to know if you would give me admission to study in your school the next year.
Your faithfully,
Devon Pham
---

Thank you!

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
A letter to a school in England

Hello, teachers and friends who are reading my thread.
I am going to write a letter to an England school. Please take a look at my letter's form and leave me comments:
---

Dear Sir/Madam,
Your faithfully,
Devon Pham

---
Thank you!
progress.gif
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=686125

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Re: A letter to a school in England

Hello Devon Pham,
That is not how people apply to university, at least where I live.

Visit that university's Web site. Look at the admissions section. There will certainly be directions on what to do, and very likely a form to fill out there.

A letter saying "would you admit me?" is not going to work.

Good luck.

<<I merged these threads.>>

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Devon, I have merged three threads on the same topic and deleted one.

PLEASE do not post the same question more than once -- in this case, four times was three times too many!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi Devon

At your request I have looked at your letter, but I can do no better than Rover and Gilnetter.

I think that Barb-D's advice in post #11 was sound - though she was taking 'school' to mean 'university', which is not common in BrE.

What sort of school is it?

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Devon, I have merged three threads on the same topic and deleted one.

PLEASE do not post the same question more than once -- in this case, four times was three times too many!
Dear Ms.Barb_D,

I am so sorry for my mistake. I will not do it again. Anyway, thank you so much for your recommendation. It is very useful.

Devon

Last edited:

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi Devon

At your request I have looked at your letter, but I can do no better than Rover and Gilnetter.

I think that Barb-D's advice in post #11 was sound - though she was taking 'school' to mean 'university', which is not common in BrE.

What sort of school is it?

Dear Mr.5,

Thank you very much for taking the time reading through my thread.
Well, it is a senior high school.

Devon

Last edited:

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Re: Write a letter to an England school

Dear Mr.Gil,

Well, I am not sure if I write "the Hanoi-Amsterdam school" because my school's name is "Hanoi-Amsterdam". I often write "Hanoi-Amsterdam school" in some essays and it seems to have no problem. However, I really appreciate all the help you gave me.

Devon

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whether it is a high school or a university, the advice is the same. Examine their admission requirements, complete the necessary forms, get the needed letters of recommendation, etc.

A letter saying "Please admit me" is not likely to be the correct route.

However, if their admission requirements include the need for a letter of motivation, you can post that here for comments.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Whether it is a high school or a university, the advice is the same. Examine their admission requirements, complete the necessary forms, get the needed letters of recommendation, etc.

A letter saying "Please admit me" is not likely to be the correct route.

However, if their admission requirements include the need for a letter of motivation, you can post that here for comments.
Well, my English teacher said that the middle schools in England is free for children who have English guardians. Is that right, Ms.Barb_D?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hope someone from the United Kingdom will respond to you.

I have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.