English Teacher
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Chile
Hi everyone,

I teach German at a university in China. Now I have been asked to teach English one to one to a 7-year-old girl. Since I have no experience with teaching English nor with teaching young children, I could use some pointers.
The student has lived in the UK for one year and speaks English pretty well already. Her parents want me to focus on reading and writing. Basically I just want to ask how you usually go about teaching children to read and write. Do you do specific exercises on phonics? Or do you just have the students read a lot?
I should stress that my student already knows how to read to an extent. We won't need to start from scratch.

Thank you for any advice!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Nick1, I have removed the links to commercial websites from your post. Please also correct your profile information. It says your current location is Finland. It is not.

Nick1

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Austria
Current Location
Finland
Nick1, I have removed the links to commercial websites from your post. Please also correct your profile information. It says your current location is Finland. It is not.

Ok, thanks emsr2d2,

I didn't notice that it will be considered as commercial.... I myself removed my post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ok, thanks emsr2d2,

I didn't notice that it will be considered as commercial.... I myself removed my post.

Thank you. Please correct your current location too.

Status
Not open for further replies.