Macbeth Act one..What do you think of my speaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Please listen to the recording below and tell me what you think of my pronunciation .
It is my first trial to speak in a free way.I know my Egyptian Accent is so clear, but next time I will do my best to improve it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kao_I77pZjo

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Please listen to the recording below and tell me what you think of my pronunciation .
It is my first trial to speak in a free way.I know my Egyptian accent is so clear, but next time I will do my best to improve it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kao_I77pZjo

I'm afraid your accent is rather heavy. The thing I could understand best was witch. However, much of it was unclear.
:-|

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I'd like to advise you to be more careful with the pronunciation of "b", "p" and "th".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
As pointed out above, there are several areas that need a lot of work on your part. I strongly advise you to focus on one or two at a time, no more.

For example, take a look at the following video to learn the correct pronunciation of θ and ð
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5LO0hHGfQg

The only thing I'll add to that guy's instruction, is that when you're practising ð, imagine your larynx as a car engine that is switched on! With θ, the engine is off; you just blow air through your teeth.

After some practice, post a recording of you reading exercise #3 in the following link.
https://engoo.com/app/lessons/consonants-θ-ð/qv87uCpxEeeSXmdrIWqFFA

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm sorry to say this, but you're wasting your time. You need to get the basics of pronunciation right first.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I'm sorry to say this, but you're wasting your time. You need to get the basics of pronunciation right first.
Yes,I know you are right. I just try to learn how to express myself in English. I just try to help my children to learn. I depend on hearing others.I am not academic.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Why don't you try doing what I suggested in post #4?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Without having the basics of pronunciation right yourself, you are doing your children a disservice by trying to teach them. Why don't you find some websites that are specifically geared towards helping children with English, run by native speakers?

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Why don't you try doing what I suggested in post #4?

I did try what you have referred to. But it needs much more time. So I try to go into different ways to improve my accent.One of them is speaking too much to get used to English speaking.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Without having the basics of pronunciation right yourself, you are doing your children a disservice by trying to teach them. Why don't you find some websites that are specifically geared towards helping children with English, run by native speakers?

Yes, I use YouTube to learn phonetics these days.English sounds are different from Arabic, but not so different or difficult.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I did try what you [STRIKE]have referred to[/STRIKE] suggested no full stop here but it needs too much [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] time. [STRIKE]So[/STRIKE] I am trying to [STRIKE]go into[/STRIKE] find different ways to improve my accent. space here One of them is speaking [STRIKE]too much[/STRIKE] a lot to get used to speaking English. [STRIKE]speaking.[/STRIKE]

Please note my corrections above. It is admirable that you are trying to help them but you will be teaching them incorrect pronunciation. If you're not speaking English with native speakers, you are probably simply reinforcing the incorrect pronunciation.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Please note my corrections above. It is admirable that you are trying to help them but you will be teaching them incorrect pronunciation. If you're not speaking English with native speakers, you are probably simply reinforcing the incorrect pronunciation.

Do not worry. I use YouTube pronunciation to teach them. They learn by listening to you tube. They learn very simple things. moreover I am not so bad speaker when it comes to simple isolated words.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Not really. And in any case, it would be well worth it for you.

I did try a little bit. You know when I talk on paltalk, all the people understand me and interact with me.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I did try a little bit. [STRIKE]You know[/STRIKE] When I talk on paltalk, all the people understand me and interact with me.

As has already been said, that doesn't mean your pronunciation is correct. I just looked at the details of paltalk, which I'd never heard of before, and it's clear that it's an international platform. I imagine there are thousands of non-native speakers chatting on there. There's a very good chance that anyone speaking in English there will understand each other, but that doesn't mean any of them will be pronouncing the language correctly.

I came across an interesting thing when I taught in Spain. My Spanish students could understand each other very well when they spoke English, but many of them had trouble understanding me. That's because they all pronounced English words the same way (with a Spanish accent) and used the same (incorrect) sentence constructions.

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I will not talk to non-native. I speak only to native speakers to get benefit.
I can listen better than speak because I can not imitate the sounds correctly, but I am trying to tackle this .

mohammedabo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
What do you mean by that? Did you try that exercise I suggested? Did you encounter any problems?

That does not mean that your pronunciation is good.

I am trying to speak too much to get my mouth used to it English as a different language.
I know how to make the sound, but in speaking, I forget to do it well.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I will not talk to non-natives. I speak only to native speakers to [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] benefit me.
I can listen better than speak because I cannot imitate the sounds correctly, but I am trying to tackle this.

Note my corrections above.

Do the native speakers on that site comment on your pronunciation?

Status
Not open for further replies.