The correct usage of 'relationship', 'relations', or 'connections'...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

A friend of mine has used, in a writing, a sentence I don't know the best alternative for, as it seems wrong in structure and choice of word. I was wondering if you could kindly help me get it fixed.

'...the overuse of technology has decreased the relationships among people.'

Can anything 'decrease' the 'relationships'?
Is 'relationships' the right choice in this sentence? (As he meant people don't really get to keep in touch, these days - or perhaps the way they get in touch is not as genuine as it used to be, perhaps.)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It's not the best choice of words, but it's understandable (I think).

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
has reduced human interactions

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's not the best choice of words, but it's understandable (I think).

And, would you please kindly give me your way of saying the same thing? (It's supposed to be in a writing, indeed.)

Plus, one BIG problem I've always had is how such verbs work with different nouns. Can we 'reduce', 'decrease', or 'diminish' ideas such as, 'traffic', 'relationship' and so on?

How can I get to know more about them? Any special title in English I can study or something? I really want to know more about the natural way of putting those words together, though I know it's got a lot more to do with a sense of language than 'knowledge' about it.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Plus, one BIG problem I've always had is how such verbs work with different nouns. Can we 'reduce', 'decrease', or 'diminish' ideas such as, 'traffic', 'relationship' and so on?

How can I get to know more about them? Any special title in English I can study or something? I really want to know more about the natural way of putting those words together, though I know it's got a lot more to do with a sense of language than 'knowledge' about it.

Hello, Mehrgan.:)

I'd like to provide a link to an online dictionary.
http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/

I hope you will find it helpful.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think what is missing here is "face to face". Social media and technology do not decrease personal interactions, but they do decrease "face to face" interactions.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
And, would you please kindly give me your way of saying the same thing?
I chose not to do that because I wasn't sure exactly what the intended meaning was.
Are the number of relationships reduced?
Is the number the same, but the quality of each relationship reduced?
etc.
tedmc has probably guessed correctly. But you are asking for something impossible - how I would say something when I don't know what the concept is that needs expressing.
I agree that you can't reduce, or decrease relationships (you can with traffic), but it might be possible to diminish a relationship. Eg, it might be possible to diminish the relationship of a marriage through an extra-marital affair. But this would be an atypical usage.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I think the 'natural way of putting words together' and the 'sense of language' can only be acquired through lots of reading and writing practice.
Being in a non-English speaking environment is more difficult as we are not exposed to the correct use of the language.
To native speaker generally, that sense is innate, being part of their upbringing while non-native speakers take longer time to acquire it.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I chose not to do that because I wasn't sure exactly what the intended meaning was.
Are the number of relationships reduced?
Is the number the same, but the quality of each relationship reduced?
etc.
tedmc has probably guessed correctly. But you are asking for something impossible - how I would say something when I don't know what the concept is that needs expressing.
I agree that you can't reduce, or decrease relationships (you can with traffic), but it might be possible to diminish a relationship. Eg, it might be possible to diminish the relationship of a marriage through an extra-marital affair. But this would be an atypical usage.

That's it! You've exactly mentioned the problem I have with those items. (And believe me, when I didn't explain more, that's because I really didn't know how to. And sometimes we just hope, though it's doesn't make sense to you, that the native speakers will get the point we're trying to get across, simply because it's so difficult to express.

And like you said, I was wondering if 'decrease', for example, would function 'quantitatively' or 'qualitatively'. And, I just needed to know how many verbs in English would function either way (I mean lists of such verbs stating what they exactly 'decrease' or 'increase' when they're used with some common nouns.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think the 'natural way of putting words together' and the 'sense of language' can only be acquired through lots of reading and writing practice.
Being in a non-English speaking environment is more difficult as we are not exposed to the correct use of the language.
To native speaker generally, that sense is innate, being part of their upbringing while non-native speakers take longer time to acquire it.

And I seriously believe we can never acquire it, at least in my case! ;) I'm just trying to learn, which explains why I'm looking for shortcuts!!! (Though, I'm doing my best to increase my exposure to real English usage. )

Status
Not open for further replies.