Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
hi there. bit of advice needed. ive got an interview for a school..in the behaviour department but have to do a 15 minute English activity of my choosing with a group of year 11s. its been a long while since did English. any advice on a fun yet learning 15 minute activity I could do with them, many thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there. I need a bit of advice​. [STRIKE]needed.[/STRIKE] I've got an interview for a school, in the behaviour department, but I have to do a 15-minute English activity of my choosing with a group of year 11s. It's been a long while since I did English. Does anyone have any advice on a fun yet [STRIKE]learning[/STRIKE] educational 15-minute activity I could do with them? Many thanks.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

First, please note my corrections to your post above, marked in red. If you're going to be teaching English to anyone, you need to be very sure that your own English (both spoken and written) is up to scratch.

Have a look at English Banana - it has loads of activities. However, be aware that the school where you have the interview might want you to come up with the activity yourself, rather than taking one off the internet.

Do you have any ideas at all?

nikrid

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your reply. I realise my English isn't the best, but I will work on this. I have had a few ideas, but finding it quite difficult as it has been a while since I was in any type of lesson, never mind a English lesson. I just want to make a good impression.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you know what kind of lesson they will be looking for? Knowing that could help you enormously.

nikrid

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It just says a 15 minute english activity of my choice. ...I don't want to ask them so many questions .I usually am quite versatile, this had really thrown me.

Thanks in advance :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It just says a 15-minute English activity of my choice. I don't want to ask them [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] too many questions. I am usually [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] quite versatile; this [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] has really thrown me.

Thanks in advance. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

Please note my corrections again to your post. For the sake of other learners here, it's very important to follow these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Don't use an ellipsis unless it's appropriate.
Don't make your own emoticons. If you really need one, click on :) and choose one.

I'm a little confused as to why you're having so much trouble with this. You describe yourself as normally quite versatile and you have successfully managed to get an interview as a teacher. How did that come about? Do you have any qualifications in teaching? Do you have any experience? Why did you apply for this particular job?

If you really can't come up with anything yourself, then I would repeat my first suggestion - English Banana. However, if you successfully get this job, you're not going to be able to rely on external websites for your lesson ideas forever. You'll need to come up with your own lesson plans and those lessons could, presumably, last up to an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.