Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sometimes it's so difficult to choose the right word for my students. I think it's the lack of the practice. My problem is that I use correct words and very often can't explain why I use them. Where can I find the answer how to choose the right words besides dictionaries?

Often, the right word is a matter of taste rather than grammar. It very much depends on the circumstance.

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Often, the right word is a matter of taste rather than grammar. It very much depends on the circumstance.

I fully agree with you. Very often I speak English and I can't believe that it's me speaking. I can be very fluent at times like many native speakers.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I fully agree with you. Very often I speak English and I can't believe that it's me speaking. I can be very fluent at times like many native speakers.

I can't tell about your speaking, but your written English is very good. :-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
I can't tell about your speaking, but your written English is very good. :-D

I have been teaching and improving my English since 1977.;-) Fifty of my student are teachers of English now.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have been teaching and improving my English since 1977.;-) Fifty of my student are teachers of English now.

That's fantastic! You should be proud. :-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
That's fantastic! You should be proud. :-D

I'm very proud of them especially when I hear about their achievament in the field of teaching. Coming back toour discussion I just want to say that Vocabulary is one of the most important factors in learning languages.:-D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm very proud of them especially when I hear about their achievament in the field of teaching. Coming back toour discussion I just want to say that Vocabulary is one of the most important factors in learning languages.:-D

There is no doubt about that. It beats the hell out of pointing and grunting. :lol:

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
There is no doubt about that. It beats the hell out of pointing and grunting. :lol:

When you teach English as a second language the students often complain about reading rules, grammar tenses, spelling and of course vocabulary. Let's take for example the verb "To look". As a beginner they have to know the following phrases: "look for" look after" look up" look forward to" look at" look like" etc. It's really hard to remember, isn't it?;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When you teach English as a second language the students often complain about reading rules, grammar tenses, spelling and of course vocabulary. Let's take for example the verb "To look". As a beginner they have to know the following phrases: "look for" look after" look up" look forward to" look at" look like" etc. It's really hard to remember, isn't it?;-)

It's very difficult. That's why there are teachers. :-D

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's very difficult. That's why there are teachers. :-D

I always tell my students if you want to make friends with English you shouldn't pay attention to all these difficulties because some time later they don't seem difficult at all. Learning English and learning to drive are alike. They both seem difficult at the beginning and are very easy two or three years later.;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I always tell my students if you want to make friends with English you shouldn't pay attention to all these difficulties because some time later they don't seem difficult at all. Learning English and learning to drive are alike. They both seem difficult at the beginning and are very easy two or three years later.;-)

Having taken Spanish, Latin, German, and driving, I found driving to be the easiest by far. :-D

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But a mistake when driving can be more serious than a grammar mistake. :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
Having taken Spanish, Latin, German, and driving, I found driving to be the easiest by far. :-D

I had to start driving Russian cars, after them I also find driving to be the easiest exercise I have ever done. And I agrre with Tdol that a driving mistake can be the last. We all make grammar mistakes and very often find out something new in English. I think all the differences between American and British English are the result of grammar mistakes mainly. :-D

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had to start driving Russian cars, after them I also find driving to be the easiest exercise I have ever done. And I agrre with Tdol that a driving mistake can be the last. We all make grammar mistakes and very often find out something new in English. I think all the differences between American and British English are the result of grammar mistakes mainly. :-D

Your last point is an interesting statement. Mistakes by whom? It can be said that in 1600 there was no American English. By 1700, because of the separation from the homeland, American settlers started on a path that was slightly different from England. But one has to remember, that the English language wasn't very mature in the 15th or 16th centuries. The first real dictionary wasn't published until the mid 1700s. Grammars were uncommon until the late 18th century. It is not terribly surprising that these two varieties developed somewhat differently. If you look at it as a biological organism, this is similar to what happens when a single species is divided by a geological phenomenon. After many generations, the two populations will have developed differences.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So Brits and Shermans are different species now? That explains a lot. ;-)

Harry Smith

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Russian Federation
As for me Ilike both languages: American & British English, though they differ not only in pronunciation but also in grammar and vocabulary too.

Status
Not open for further replies.