Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Thailand
Hi guys. First time posting the thread. I am sorry if I have done something wrong.

I am having trouble with the pronunciation of Ri like Ring, Risk and Rip.
When I pronounce it alway sounds like Wing, Wisk or Wip or something like between of Ri and Wi.
My name starts with Ri and I get embarrassed every time I introduce my self to someone.
I really want to fix it and I would appreciate it if you guys can give me some helps or tips.

Thank you.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know if this will help, but try it:

1. Relax your tongue, lips, and the rest of your mouth. Just let everything go slack. Let your lips be slightly parted.

2. Lift the middle of your tongue up toward the middle of the roof of your mouth until it's ALMOST touching.

3. Make a vocal sound.

Does that do it?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If that doesn't work, I would try thinking of it this way: point the tip of the tongue, very flexed and tense, curled up, at the hard palate, and try then.

ponta

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Thailand
Thank you for the quick reply, both of you. I tried both way and the one konungursiva suggest seemed to be working for me.
The one Charlie Bernstein suggest helped me to pronounce ''R'' as a single letter but once I started saying ''Ri'' or ''Ra'' my tip of tongue started moving and I found bit difficult to speak. I still need bit more practice but I appreciate both of your reply, I am now bit more confident than I used to be. Thank you a lot.

If there are anyone who have other tips, I am more than welcome.

Thank you.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a Japanese speaker, you probably know that articulating R and L is challenging for people who grew up speaking languages that don't distinguish between these sounds. It's great to try to improve, but please don't be embarrassed if you don't always get them perfect. People you talk to will know from your accent (no matter how good it is) that English isn't your first language, and won't expect perfection.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As a Japanese speaker, you probably know that articulating R and L is challenging for people who grew up speaking languages that don't distinguish between these sounds. It's great to try to improve, but please don't be embarrassed if you don't always get them perfect. People you talk to will know from your accent (no matter how good it is) that English isn't your first language, and won't expect perfection.

That's absolutely right, Ponta. You don't need to lose your accent to speak proper English. You're written English is better than most native speakers', so I think you're doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.