[Grammar] 'If he will message her when he gets back, it means he cares about her'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristina.W

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Are the tenses used correctly in that phrase? Or it's better to say 'if he messages her', although it's an action that might happen in the future?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'If he messages her...' is correct for an action that might happen in the future.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are the tenses used correctly in that phrase? Or it's better to say 'if he messages her', although it's an action that might happen in the future?

I agree with Rover that the present tense should be used in your "if" clause. This creates a zero conditional which is used for general rules and things that are always true.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I would consider "message(s)" as a verb in that context, or in any context for that matter, to be a rather clumsy term. Why not simply use "contact(s)"?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would consider "message(s)" as a verb in that context, or in any context for that matter, to be a rather clumsy term. Why not simply use "contact(s)"?

It is very common these days.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can safely say that most people I know use "to message" on a regular basis, as do I. Admittedly, I probably use "to email" or "to text" more often but I can't deny the adoption of "to message" into most people's vocabulary these days.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can safely say that most people I know use "to message" on a regular basis, as do I. Admittedly, I probably use "to email" or "to text" more often but I can't deny the adoption of "to message" into most people's vocabulary these days.

Obviously, I have led a very sheltered life, or cyberlife, but I must say that I have never heard anyone use "message" as a verb form or in the way as originally posted by ChristinaW. Rather, your alternate examples, in my experience are most common.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Part of the problem is that there are now other ways of contacting people online. For example, iMessage. It's not an email. It's not a text message and its not an "instant message" as such, although it works more like Messenger, AIM. It works between Apple devices but it doesn't fall under the other terms used. And then there's Facebook messaging!

Status
Not open for further replies.