Question about the type of an essay.Urgent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hello! I have a question about defining the genre of an essay. I am acquainted with the main essay types. However, I have an university admission test which includes essay writing. Here are sample essay topics for it:

''Violence in television programmes and computer games leads to violence in society.'' There aren't any clue words which I can use to define the type of the essay. What am I supposed to write then?

And here is another one: ''The best things in life are free.'' It is a proverb. What should I do?

And one more (I think it is an opinion essay, isn't it?): ''Modern life is getting more and more stressful. What, in your view, are the best ways of overcoming stress?''

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello! I have a question about defining the genre of an essay. I am acquainted with the main essay types. However, I have [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] a university admission test which includes essay writing.
I think they've just shown you typical topics that come up. In the actual test, they would normally give you a complete essay question (not just a topic), and that should clarify for you the kind of essay they're after.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Is it possible to be given only a statement like these ones? Because I read in some English blogs about a type of an essay called ''Expository essay'' and the topics given there were similar to these ones.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
They should still provide clear instructions for you to follow.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
lilyjones, please click here and read General Rule #2.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Without further qualification, they all look like opinion pieces to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Can't find delete.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello! I have a question about defining the genre of an essay. I am acquainted with the main essay types. However, I have an university admission test which includes essay writing. Here are sample essay topics for it:

''Violence in television programmes and computer games leads to violence in society.'' There aren't any clue words which I can use to define the type of the essay. What am I supposed to write then?

You're just supposed to write about the topic. The examiner isn't asking you to say what type of essay you're writing. The examiner just wants you to write on.

Your written English seems to be strong enough to write a good one.

And here is another one: ''The best things in life are free.'' It is a proverb. What should I do?

Again, just write about what the exam asks you to write about.

And one more (I think it is an opinion essay, isn't it?): ''Modern life is getting more and more stressful. What, in your view, are the best ways of overcoming stress?''

Write an essay on overcoming stress.

Again, you don't need to define the genre. The examiner isn't asking for that. The examiner just wants essays. You can decide for yourself what kind.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You're right. It looks like the delete buttons are gone. Is there a webmaster in the house?

Which delete buttons are gone? I can get the webmaster in the house but am not sure what the problem is. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.