Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi there

The thing I would like to focus mostly on right now, is to increase my vocabulary. So therefore I would really like some advice and help on this matter.

So do any of you, have any special tips or tricks? Or I would very much like to just hear your way of doing it!

Or do you know any games that will help you achieve the task? (know it might sound a bit silly, but you never know)

Hope to get some advice!

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I don't think there's a magic formula- don't try to learn too much, recycle and check usage carefully.

Salieri_Bar

Member Type
Other
There are many ways to expand your vocabulary. My way to learn new words is to translate about 5-6 words a day into my native language and try to remember them immediately. However, if you don't check those words tomorrow, you will certainly forget them and when you face them again, you will be frustrated because it sounds familiar but you can't exactly figure out the meaning. So, don't t stress yourself with too many words. Movies may also be a useful aid.

Jack8rkin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What I did to learn new words is I wrote them down on a sheet of paper with translation in my native language (or sometimes drew a small picture against a word) and hung the sheet on a shelf. I also used the same kind of sheet at work and stuck it to a door of my locker. Thus, words were always before my eyes and sooner or later I memorized them. Besides, listening to movie soundtracks and audiobooks was of great help to me.

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I was not looking for a magic bullet. I was merely interested in how people did this and by learning about their methods I mihgt be able to get better myself.

Jill-y

Member Type
Student or Learner
As for me the best methods to memorise new words are formulate suggestions with them and afterwards use them in writing letters. Even though, sometimes those letters can 'sound' artificially mostly people understand the meaning and it's the main!

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know what level of English you already have, but I can tell you my favorite trick to pick up "practical" vocabulary.

I am learning Italian at the minute, and trying some "visual learning" tricks.

I started on small scale. I stuck a little card with the word for "door" on a couple of the doors in my flat. A card with the word for "window" on the window. Only a couple of cards, at first, dotted around my flat.

And when I looked out of the window, I muttered the word. When I walked through the door, I muttered the word.

Over time I added more notes and cards. My phone had a card on it. So did my computer.

Gradually, the words sunk in. So then I got more complex. The cards on the doors also told me the name of the room behind the door. I would add a post-it note next the "hinges" and one near the "doorhandle".

At first, the word on the small mirror on the wall in the bathroom, and on the full-length mirror in my bedroom was the same. Then I looked up slightly more accurate words to explain the difference, and updated the cards.

Then I added small stickers on the buttons on my phone with the numbers written on them in Italian.

On my different bits of my different computers, I added words for "screen" "monitor" "laptop" "powerpack" and so on. I started sticking words on things on my desk at work. I had a "photograph" on my desk at work. Now it's a "photograph of my family on holiday" in a "silver frame".

The disadvantage of this method is it does have a bias towards teaching you lots of nouns.

There are some good ways to pick up some verbs, though.

We have these great clever phones at work with big screens and twenty menu options. It turned out I could set mine to display in Italian. Lots of practical vocab right there about transferring calls, putting people on hold... all great "real life" stuff. Most mobile phones will let you set their display into another language too. I did think about setting the photocopier menu to Italian at work too, but I decided people might get annoyed with me!

When I was at uni (studying French) and bought my first ever laptop, I bought a French one. Everything, from the Start menu onwards, was already in French. There was a learning curve, although it wasn't as steep as I had expected. It's amazing how much we navigate on a computer from memory! But it was a great way to learn what words the French used for all those computer functions (Save, Edit, Rename, Justify... all kinds of things!) and believe me, it came in useful later. I'm not suggesting buying a new computer! But could you set up something like Microsoft Word in French? One programme you know well and use a lot?

Keeping a diary (or perhaps a blog) in English might help. Even if you set yourself a small target of say 50 words a night, trying to talk about different things about your day will force you to look up new words and ideas. I wonder if you could start a diary thread on this site? Then you would get people helping and correcting you, and offering suggestions.

In order to find new vocabulary you have to be talking/writing in the language, to figure out what words you need. Keep talking, talking, talking! Listening to movies and music isn't a bad idea but it is passive rather than active, because if you don't understand something then it is too easy to ignore the problem. Actively talking or writing doesn't let you do that as much!

There's no "magic" way to learn and remember new vocabulary, but I have found it helps me personally to try and absorb the words into my real life and give them context and solidity. I have never been good at rote learning from lists. That's why the very visual methods I mentioned above have been helpful for me.

davidbendtner

Member Type
Student or Learner
Well i think the one of the best way to improve the vocabulary if you want to start from the scratch is take a GRE vocabulary building work book..which had a collection of more than 500 most impressive words...

and if you had already done that ..then the best you can do is to go through some international magazines and newspapers as they also use some very new international words and then you can browse Internet or may be this forum for there meanings and synonyms..and similarly you can also follow the international news channels as they also used high power vocabulary ..this small steps will make your personalty different from others..believe me i had also used these techniques and today i had gained a lot...

Happy leaning :) ...Thanks
David.

Golferman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Another way is to read a lot and when you come to a word you don't know, look it up. This is supposed to also help with grammar and recollection abilities.

younghermes

Member Type
Student or Learner
Another way is to read a lot and when you come to a word you don't know, look it up. This is supposed to also help with grammar and recollection abilities.

I agree with the above statement, by reading a lot you will also see how certain words are used within sentences. This will give you an idea of when a certain vocabulary should and can be used. Another method I find very effective is listening to informative audio-books, news on the radio or talk shows dealing with important matters.

ackeiyword

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bhutani
Home Country
Anguilla
Current Location
Austria
I think it is a good way to do a lot of fast reading ,whatever the material,just choose the ones that you are interested in .You also can browse news online everyday.

Steve5

Banned
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
[FONT=&quot]There is a way you can increase your vocabulary so that you can avoid these embarrassing situations. Incorporate the tips below into your lifestyle and talk or write with more[/FONT][FONT=&quot]confidence than ever before.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1. Have dictionary, will travel. Keep a pocket dictionary in your purse, pocket or car. When you see or hear a word you don't know, look it up (not while driving). But don't stop once you've looked it up. You have to feel comfortable using the word.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Make it a point to use your new word three times the day you heard it, and every day thereafter for two weeks. Use it when you write. Use it when you speak. After two weeks, try to use it at least once a day. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2. Carry a thesaurus, too. Are you stuck in the rut of using the same adjectives, like pretty, nice, beautiful, smart, or stupid? Life would be so much more exciting if you would branch out into the use of synonyms, words that mean the same but are different. Instead of describe someone who gave money as nice, use the word "philanthropist," or "generous." Stop yourself when using the same words time after time. The thesaurus can be an intellectually stimulating companion. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Buy a vocabulary book. There are many available at bookstores or on the Internet. These books take you through a process to build a vocabulary. Many people prefer the books that use root words as a guide. In some ways, this may be similar to studying Latin, but don't let that scare you off. By learning root words, you can determine the meaning of virtually any new word. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4. Incorporate "Word Night" into your dinner routine. Once a week, assign everyone in the family (or at your dinner table) the task of bringing a new word to the meal. Each person must look up the new word, define it, talk about its root and use it at the table. Keep a running log of these words and use them regularly. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5. Stop, look and listen when reading[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]books. Many times, as we read, we encounter new words. The simple thing to do is either ignore it or determine its meaning through the context in which it is used. The more effective response, however, is to stop reading at once. Look up the new word in the dictionary, and treat it like any other new word (i.e. use it three times a day for two weeks). Use it when you speak and when you write. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, take a step back and examine the books you are reading. If you are reading the same types of books (romance novels by the same author, for example) you are probably reading the same words over and over. Branch out. Try a new author, or new type of book. Switch to non-fiction for a while. Read about current events. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6. Do crossword puzzles. After doing the same puzzles (in the same newspaper, that is) you will learn the writer's style and you will pick up a few new words. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7. Play word games in the car. When you are stopped at a light and notice a billboard, think of how it could be written with a synonym. It may not work for the ad, but it may make you laugh. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8. Look at the magazines you are reading. If it's the same few you've read for years, look at what else is out there. News magazines will use different words than women's magazines. Business magazines will have their own language altogether. Pick up new magazines at the store or on airplanes. And be sure to refer to your dictionary for guidance.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9. Make word games a part of going out with friends. Talk about new words you've learned, or play a game where the challenge is to say a word that no one understands. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10. Take up a hobby. Hobbies have languages all their own, so you will learn new words just by [/FONT][FONT=&quot]learning a new skill.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most of all, be conscious of your written and verbal style. Stop yourself if you always say, "She is nice," or "She is pretty." Think of synonyms and use them. [/FONT]

mydonda

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi there,

try this laid back learning website to increase your vocabulary mydonda.com

:)

Hi there

The thing I would like to focus mostly on right now, is to increase my vocabulary. So therefore I would really like some advice and help on this matter.

So do any of you, have any special tips or tricks? Or I would very much like to just hear your way of doing it!

Or do you know any games that will help you achieve the task? (know it might sound a bit silly, but you never know)

Hope to get some advice!

NikkiBarber

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
United States
Read. A lot. Find a book (or maybe a graphic novel) that you like and read it. In my opinion you don't have to look every word that you don't recognize up. We all have a limited amount of words in our active vocabulary, writers too, and most of the time you will end up seeing the same words enough times in a book to give you a good idea of their meaning.
Of course there are going to be words that you need to look up but take it easy with the dictionary. If you have to flip through it constantly you won't enjoy the book and you probably didn't learn your first language by carrying around a thesaurus.
If you can find English movies with subtitles in your own language you might find that this is another good way of expanding your vocabulary.

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Oman
Current Location
Oman
here are some tips

1- Reading (read about everything, mainly magazines and newspapers. That's because they write about different issues, which will help in improving your vocabulary. Also, as your standard in English seems very good, you will learn new formal word)

2- Chat and talk with native speakers, they will use words you are not familiar with.

3- watch movies and listen to episodes or radio.

4- try to think of words in your own language that you don't know in english. As not being a native speaker, you will probably find that there are words that used in daily life but you don't know about. Well, I'm not a native speaker too so I know how it is lol.

Velo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I actually have a book from my high school days aimed at increasing vocabulary. It gives some novel words, definitions, and examples of usage. I'm not sure if you can actually buy books like that, but it's worth a shot.

More than anything, I would say read all you can. Write down words you don't know and look up their definitions and usage. Try using a thesaurus to look up alternatives of words you know.

M-W.com has a Word of the Day feature, which can been sent via e-mail or seen on their homepage, which gives a word, its history, definitions, etc.

Try also a Google search for increase vocabulary which gives some excellent results.

Orange Easy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Wales
Current Location
Netherlands
Lots and lots of exposure to the language you're learning - TV, magazines, internet, radio etc, I think this is a better approach to learning vocabulary than memorising lists of words as you learn the most commonly used words first and you'll see them in different contexts too.

Learn to guess the meaning of words/phrases you don't understand. Don't over-use the dictionary. Don't worry too much if you don't get it this time.

Use materials that interest you.

Enjoy - :lol:

:-D I like Tullia's reply - stickers. One way to improve this, is not only to write the word but to write a sentence e.g. Instead of 'telephone' write ‘This is my telephone. I call people on it.’

Or better still, if you have a good friend whose native in the language you're learning - ask him/her to write sentences on the sticky notes (perhaps even record him/her).

Like Tullia said - change the language on your computer to the language.

Oh, there's Anki - space repetition. I haven't used this but this is software to optimise 'memory' of words and phrases. A lot of people swear by this - I think it basically reminds you review your new 'phrases' at 1 minute, 10 minute, 1 hour, 1 day, 10 days -- something like that, :up:

Gamma Ray

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Learning English (my personal tips/technique). Share you tips and advices

Hello, wonderful community! :D

My native language is Russian/Ukrainian. English is my second language. I'm automatically become a non-native speaker.

How do I learn English?

Wonderful community, let me present for you a couple of tips I use myself:

THE MOST IMPORTANT - JUST ENJOY LEARNING ENGLISH

#1 READ VARIOUS TOPICS

I try to read a lot in English. If I detect an unfamiliar word I immediately underlie/highlight it and write it down on a card. I try to read various thematic and academic topics such as biology, biodiversity, psychology, history, philosophy, astronomy, cosmology, astrophysics (say hello to Stephen Hawking for popularizing it.) I do enjoy to read fiction sometimes, however I prefer non-fiction more, some real discoveries and memoirs of thinkers, writers, pioneers. I would like to know what do they think, why do they think so. For example I started to read "The life and discoveries of Michael Faraday".

#2 INTERNET

I visit specific forums dedicated for English learners, non-native speakers. I post questions bother me and receive responses.

If you love cinematography as I do, please visit this link. They have outstanding essays. You can learn a lot of new words. The Criterion Collection

Visit this link. Midnight Eye - Visions of Japanese cinema - interviews, features, film reviews, book reviews, calendar of events and DVD releases, links and more... Site is dedicated to japanese cinema. They have interesting essays, informative reviews.

#3 WRITE DOWN

Each day I write down at least 50 new/unfamiliar words on my cards. When I walk outside, ride on a bus, buy groceries or I sit in cafe and drink tea I review my cards with words. It works for me. It's very simple and funny. Each card consists of 8 words, 4 words on each side with definition and synonyms.

#4 WATCH & LISTEN

I watch american sitcoms to hear and imitate pronunciation. (Friends, Sex and the City, Futurama, Simpsons, X-files, old good Scully and Mulder :D).

Why do I choose sitcoms, the answer is obvious, you are hear people chatting and talking. Very interesting process, hear how native speakers talk and try to imitate them. I'm fond of performance of Jim Carrey, he has an outstanding pronunciation (Mask, Ace Ventura, Dumb & Dumber.)

I'm gratefully waiting for your responses.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There have been many good idea in this thread, but a lot of them have concentrated on words. Words have real meaning only when they are used in context.

Many learners understandably try to translate new English words into their own language. This can help, but there is rarely an exact one-to-one correspondence between words that appear to mean the same thing in different languages.

When you come acoss a new word that you think would be useful in the future, try to make a note of as many sentences as you can in which it is used.

Gamma Ray

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The most important thing - just enjoy learning English. It is funny. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.