English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please check what should be the appropriate modal here in these tenses

1) I think I should prepare my daily time table in such a manner that I ---(CAN/WOULD) get some spare time for sports.. Do we use can or would ? and most important I need explanation please..

2) No, I wish I ---- (COULD/WOULD) --- play some tennis, but I don't get time. Do we use could or would ? explanation please

3) What advice -- (WILL/ WOULD )you give to our viewers ? WILL or WOULD ?

Thanks very much

DJ

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please check what should be the appropriate modal here in these tenses

1) I think I should prepare my daily time table in such a manner that I ---(CAN/WOULD) get some spare time for sports.. Do we use can or would ? and most important I need explanation please. Here I wouldn't use either. "...that I get or have spare time". is fine.
2) No, I wish I ---- (COULD/WOULD) --- play some tennis, but I don't get time. Do we use could or would ? explanation please "I wish I could" is correct, here it means "I wish I were able to".

3) What advice -- (WILL/ WOULD )you give to our viewers ? WILL or WOULD ? Both are possible, depending on the context.

Thanks very much

DJ
Bhai.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Vague explanation :( Sorry. any other suggestions plz
I'd use "could" for 1 if I had to put a modal verb there. Otherwise I agree with the above.
Are you sure you don't know the difference between forming the conditional and the future in 3?

dj_dipuu

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'd use "could" for 1 if I had to put a modal verb there. Otherwise I agree with the above.
Are you sure you don't know the difference between forming the conditional and the future in 3?

Why have you used Could for the 1 one ? Can't we use would as well ? Both makes sense.

Yes I know the difference between forming conditional and Future ? But still it'll be so nice of you, if you can just explain :). What about second one ?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Why have you used Could for the 1 one ? Can't we use would as well ? Both makes sense.
Yes, you can use "would" instead of "could". I would use "could", but that's not a mandatory choice.

Yes I know the difference between forming conditional and Future ? But still it'll be so nice of you, if you can just explain :).
See below
What about second one ?
bhai has answered that.
I don't know if I can explain the difference between "will" and "would" to you. You have yourself down as an English teacher in your profile. I'm just finding it too tragic right now.
Why don't you tell me the difference, and I'll tell you whether I think you're right.

Status
Not open for further replies.