Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's getting cold. Yoyo would like to have hotpot for dinner, but there's nothing in his refrigerator.

He calls his friend Peter 'Bro, let's have hotpot dinner tonight in my home after you work off. By the way, don't forget to buy some mutton on your way'.

Peter agrees.

After that, Yoyo calls other friends of his, and invites them to have hotpot dinner together in his home. He asks Mary to bring some vegetable, and Mike to buy hotpot seasoning.

Then, he is cooking a pot of water waiting the arrivals of his friends.

Yoyo must be a student of MBA!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: A Student of MBA

It's getting cold. Yoyo would like to have hotpot for dinner, but there's nothing in his refrigerator.

He calls his friend Peter and says 'Bro, let's have hotpot for dinner tonight [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at my home after you get off work. [STRIKE]off.[/STRIKE] By the way, don't forget to buy some mutton on your way'.

Peter agrees.

After that, Yoyo calls other friends of his, and invites them to have hotpot for dinner together [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at his home. He asks Mary to bring some vegetables, and Mike to buy hotpot seasoning.

Then, he [STRIKE]is cooking[/STRIKE] heats/boils a pot of water while awaiting the [STRIKE]arrivals[/STRIKE] arrival of his friends.

See above.

Note that I have left "at his home" even though it's not a natural way to express it for most native speakers. We'd say "Do you want to come to mine for dinner?" or "Do you fancy dinner at my place?" or something similar.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Do you mean MBA students are exploitative?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I left the final sentence as it was because I assumed I was just missing some sort of in-joke about MBA students.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

No, not at all. I comment on Yoyo positively. He is very good at organizing and assigning jobs to other people. I admire. I don't write his friends are unhappy with him. The skill of organizing is much valuable.

That's the value of a genuine manager. Yet, not all managers know how to manage. Some managers just bury themselves in their tasks; some managers just do the jobs which belong to their underlings.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

No, not at all. I commented on Yoyo positively. He is very good at organizing and assigning jobs to other people. I admire him. I [STRIKE]don't write[/STRIKE] didn't say his friends [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] were unhappy with him. The skill of organizing is [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] very valuable.

That's the value of a genuine manager no full stop here yet no comma here not all managers know how to manage. Some managers just bury themselves in their tasks; some managers just do the jobs which [STRIKE]belong to[/STRIKE] should be/are the responsibility of their underlings.

See above.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I don't think I've explained that clearly.

You might feel Yoyo was trying to exploit his friends. When I wrote the story, the background in my mind was Yoyo has been helping his friends all the time. He might treat them for dinner many times. His friends would not mind to do so for him. They would be happy to get together for dinner. Mutton, vegetables and seasoning are not expensive. Yoyo calls Peter Bro which means they are really very close friends.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Yoyo had no food in his fridge to cook but he wanted to invite his friends to his place for a hotpot dinner. He asked his friends to bring an ingredient each for the hotpot but his part as host is only to boil a pot of water. He seems to me like exploiting his friends, since you linked that to him being an MBA student.

-would not mind[STRIKE] to do[/STRIKE] doing
-calls Peter "Bro".

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Yoyo has no food in his fridge to cook but he wanted to invite his friends to his place for a hotpot dinner. He asked his friends to bring an ingredient each for the hotpot but his part as host is only to boil a pot of water. He seems to me like exploiting his friends, and you linked that to him being an MBA student.

-would not mind[STRIKE] to do[/STRIKE] doing
-calls Peter "Bro".
I've understood. He was being funny and playful with his friends only in my mind. I forgot to state this was just a story. It didn't happen in reality.

I have been trying to write as short as possible, so I won't make you and others go through my long texts which are clumsy and boring, and spend too much time on proofreading them for me each time. In such a short text, it's out of my capacity to write it clearly so far.

Thank you very much for your question and correction, and let me know what you think about, so that I can know my words would possibly cause different interpretations. I'm glad to clarify this. This will help me in improving my *writing and communication.

I'm very grateful for emsr2d2's help too.

:-D

P.S. *I am not very interested in writing. I write just for improving my English mostly. I hope my Engilsh can reach a passable level.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

I've understood. He was being funny and playful with his friends only in my mind. I forgot to state this was just a story. It didn't happen in reality.

I have been trying to write as short as possible, so I won't make you and others go through my long texts which are clumsy and boring, and spend too much time on proofreading them for me each time. In such a short text, it's out of my capacity to write it clearly so far.

Thank you very much for your question and correction, and let me know what you think [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE], so that I [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] know my words would possibly [STRIKE]cause different interpretations.[/STRIKE] be interpreted differently. I'm glad to clarify this. This will help me in improving my *writing and communication.

I'm very grateful[STRIKE] for[/STRIKE] to emsr2d2's help too.

P.S. *I am not very interested in writing. I write just[STRIKE][STRIKE] for improving[/STRIKE][/STRIKE] to improve my English mostly. I hope my Engilsh can reach a passable level.

I think you are doing very well, being able to express your thoughts and ideas clearly. Your English just needs some polishing.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Corrections:

You are grateful for emsr2d2's help
is correct.

and

Your English just need some polishing.

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thank you very much for your encouragement.

When I wrote 'thank you for your question...' in response to your comment in Post 3, I intuitively felt my wording - 'question' would sound a little condescending and rude, but I was unable to find a right word then.

Later, I happened to read your comment in another thread in which you talked about 'Queries and questions ...are always welcome'. I realize 'query' is the word I should have used here - thank you very much for your query and corrections.

My bad. :)

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I don't think I've explained that clearly.

You might feel Yoyo was trying to exploit his friends. When I wrote the story, the background in my mind was Yoyo has been helping his friends [STRIKE]all the[/STRIKE] for a long time/regularly. He [STRIKE]might treat[/STRIKE] has treated them [STRIKE]for[/STRIKE] to dinner many times. His friends would not [STRIKE]mind to do so[/STRIKE] think of doing the same for him. They [STRIKE]would be[/STRIKE] are [just] happy to get together for dinner. Mutton, vegetables and seasoning are not expensive. Yoyo calls Peter "bro", which means they are really very close friends.

[STRIKE]I've understood[/STRIKE] I understand. He was being funny and playful with his friends only in my mind. I forgot to state this was just a story. It didn't happen in reality.

I have been trying to write texts that are as short as possible, so I [STRIKE]won't[/STRIKE] don't make you and others go through [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] long texts [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] that are clumsy and boring, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] or spend too much time on proofreading them for me each time. In such a short text, it's out of my capacity to [STRIKE]write it clearly so far[/STRIKE] make everything clear.

Thank you very much for your questions and corrections. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] Let me know what you think about (what we think about what?), so that I can know if my words [STRIKE]would possibly cause different interpretations[/STRIKE] might be misinterpreted. I'm glad to clarify this. This will help me [STRIKE]in improving[/STRIKE] to improve my *writing and communication.

I'm very grateful for emsr2d2's help too.

P.S. *I am not very interested in writing. Mostly, I write just [STRIKE]for improving[/STRIKE] to improve my English. [STRIKE]mostly.[/STRIKE] I hope my English can reach a passable level.

See above.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Let me know what you think about (what we think about what?), so that I can know if my words [strike]would possibly cause different interpretations[/strike] might be misinterpreted.

I refer to tedmc was wondering if I thought MBA's students are exploitive. Previously I was NOT able associate MBA with exploitation together at all if without tedmc's query. Now I got the logic.

In my mind, being a student of MBA is admirable. The tutition of an MBA program in a business school is expensive, and many schools generally admit excellent students. The careers of MBA's graduates' are generally promising, and they are very likely to take a position in management.

Yoyo is very good at organizing. His capacity is comparable to that of an MBA's student's, so I made such a positive speculation in the last sentence of my text - 'Yoyo must be a student of MBA'.

:)

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Are you sure about that Ted?

*I assume tedmc was trying to encourage me only. That's why, in Post 12, I wrote 'thank you very much for your encouragement' in response to him. When I see so many corrections in my texts each time, and I don't take that remark of his at its face value.

In reality, many native speakers told me 'Your English is good', or 'very good', and I never took those compliments for granted. I assume they said that because of comparing my English to that of other Chinese persons' whom they met in China.

In China, people say the similar words to others too in many different occasions. Some teachers would say 'good', 'excellent', when their pupils finished a project which is actually clumsy. People I knew would say 'good job' to their adult friends. I would say so. We don't intend to fawningly please other people, but out of encouragement only.

A few days ago, I watched a video clip in which the video blogger shows the audience how to cook a dish. Her three-year-old son stands aside, trying to help her put the food on the plate.

She tells him 'No, that's the wrong position to put it'. He doesn't help again.

Except for expressing my appreciation to her dish, I commented below the video:

If your child is trying to help you, just tell him 'good', and then show him the correct way to do so, even he doesn't do it well. Do not tell him he does something wrongly, otherwise he might lose his interest, and never try again.:)

P.S.
* tedmc, if my assumption is not accurate, I'd like to stand corrected.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

The thread title "A Student of MBA" is highly unnatural. I am going to change it.

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

The thread title "A Student of MBA" is highly unnatural. I am going to change it.

Please do it! I appreciate any correction.

What's the title you would like to change?

I prefer you suggest an appropriate title in the comment, so when I review my English a few years later, I can know what level of my English is now. But it is up to you if you would like to change the thread title.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Are you sure about that Ted?

I am not sure whether you are asking about the correctness of the word need or the statement about tree123's English. If it is the former, it is needs of course - a very basic mistake I still overlook.

The standard of a person's language is relative of course, as it depends on who or which group you are comparing it with. Given the environment and circumstances in which English is taught and learned in China, I would say tree123's English is better than a lot of graduates, if the standard of English of the other forum members from China is anything to go by. I think the root of the problem lies with the standard of English of the teachers in China which is not high (except occasionally where expatriate English teachers are employed, like Piscean). The language is taught as a single subject in school, it is not used much outside schools or universities and the exposure to the language is sorely lacking, so we cannot expect the general standard to be high. Apparently, beginners are not being properly grounded in the fundamentals of the language before they proceed to higher levels.

Tree123 is able to communicate quite clearly in the language, though there are issues with grammar and the writing could be more natural (to the native speaker that is) and smoother. She probably tends to still think in Chinese when she writes in English. But I guess it is good enough to pass the IELTS (the teachers here who have experience with IELTS would know better).

Last edited:

tree123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Tedmc, I had thought the intention of your remark was simply to encourage me on this language-learning forum. I didn't know you really mean it until I read your latest response.

Of course, I still think the remark of yours aslo implies encouragement. :-D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.