Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
According to a Chinese scholar of English,"An infinitive without to as the completement of subject can be in the front of a sentence, for example, Die is the last thing I shall do, doctor." (NG1493)
Hence comes the one by me , "Swim is I want to learn this summer."
What do you think of the two?
Thanks!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
They're not the same:
The last thing I shall do is die :tick:
I want to learn is swim :cross:

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They're not the same:
The last thing I shall do is die :tick:
I want to learn is swim :cross:
I agree with you. The Chinese scholar's example is right. But his conclusion is wrong. So I made a wrong sentence by purpose to illustrate his conclusion is not right.
Thanks!

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
But his conclusion (by which, I presume, you mean his analysis) is quite correct. Provided you begin with a grammaticallly acceptable sentence in which a bare infinitive stands as subject complement (such as The last thing I shall do is die), that infinitive can indeed be fronted for emphasis.

The problem with your example is that, as other contributors have indicated, it originated from a non-sentence (*I want to learn is swim).
The problem lies therefore, not in his analysis, but in your own attempt to apply it.

I would suggest that the root of your confusion is simply lack of awareness of the rules that permit the formation of a sentence such as

The last thing I shall do is die.

in the first place, where omission of 'to' is either optional, or (as here) obligatory. The possibility of fronting is, by comparison, a minor issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.