What does "Up-to-date list of previous" here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In an episode of the newly-produced TV series "Silk" ,there is outside the coutroom a conversation between a prosector and a lawer,who are going to be rivals in the courtroom ,which goes as follow:
Prosecutor:Nice man your client.
Lawer:That's what you say about everyone you prosecute.
P:If he's here if he's standing trial that means the cps the police and me all think he did it.What does that tell you?
L:That he very badly needs me fighting his corner.
P:Up-to-date list of previous.(she handing her a sheet of paper)
I guess the "previous" here means previous criminal record,but I'm not sure about it.So please help me to under this expression.I will be very grateful for your help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
P:Up-to-date list of previous.
I guess the "previous" here means previous criminal record,but I'm not sure about it.
You are right.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Is "Silk" a British series? In the U.S. we usually hear "priors" in this context.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is "Silk" a British series? In the U.S. we usually hear "priors" in this context.
Yes. 'Silk' refers to the promotion of barristers to the 'rank' of QC, Queen's Counsel. This promotion is known as 'taking silk', because QCs can wear the silk robes that go with this position.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: An associated usage is 'He's got previous', meaning 'He's done the same sort of thing before'. If, say, Russel Brand* is fired from a radio show for bad language, someone might say 'It doesn't surprise me. After all, he's got previous.'

In your case, it's referring to previous convictions. Also, when someone is arrested and charged for something, and wants to to avoid later being arrested and charged for a previous offence, s/he can ask the court to take previous offences 'into consideration'. If you follow that series, you may come across the expression 'TIC' - and wonder whether it has anything to do with credit payments ;-); in this context it means 'taken into consideration'.

b

PS * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russel_Brand

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.