What does it mean "he had it to Himself"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Could you help me get this joke?

A visitor was walking round the gardens of a monastery on a very hot and sunny day. He was admiring the lovely flowers and plants in the garden and said :"How wonderful the works of God are!"
The old monk working in the garden lifted his head and said :"Yes! but you should have seen the garden when He had it to Himself! "
Thanks a million.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before people came and messed it up.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It's hardly a joke in my opinion, but what do I know. I've always had trouble understanding God jokes.

The standard way of introducing direct speech is with a comma:

He was admiring the lovely flowers and plants in the garden and said, "How wonderful the works of God are!"

The old monk working in the garden lifted his head and said, "Yes! but you should have seen the garden when He had it to Himself!"

Notice that there is no space before the comma and a space after it. If you're sure you want to use the colon, you should still remember this rule about spaces. I have also deleted the unnecessary space between ! and " at the end of the second sentence.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't consider it a joke either.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks Barb. Oh! yeah, it's "have something all to yourself". I totally had forgotten it, honestly I had checked the dictionary but I don't know why I couldn't find it. Thanks a lot.

Thanks birdeen for the notice. You're right I should use a "comma" not a "colon". It's one of the old school habits. Regarding the space, thanks a lot. Honestly speaking, it has always been a nuisance.;-)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I like this joke.

The old monk had worked very hard to create a beautiful garden and thought he deserved the praise. Before he started – when God had had it to himself – it had been rough wasteland.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I like this joke.

The old monk had worked very hard to create a beautiful garden and thought he deserved the praise. Before he started – when God had had it to himself – it had been rough wasteland.
As I said, I rarely get jokes about God. :) Thanks.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks birdeen for the notice. You're right I should use a "comma" not a "colon". It's one of the old school habits. Regarding the space, thanks a lot. Honestly speaking, it has always been a nuisance.;-)
You can try to think about it this way: when there's a line wrap in that place, where do you want your punctuation mark to land? If there's a space before it, it will end up in the next line, sticking to the next word. If there's a space after it, it will stay in the current one or go to the next line together with the word preceding it.

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I said, I rarely get jokes about God. :) Thanks.
I'm not sure of Rover's 'joke' interpretation. Having been brought up within spitting distance of a monastery, I never came across a monk who thought like that. Thiking like that would be, in their terms 'sinful'.

Rather than a joke I'd call it a phiosophical paradox. If she'd been around to see it 'when He had it to Himself' He wouldn't have had it to Himself.

But however it's interpreted, I think the OP just wondered about the expression so I don't want to start a discussion about the cardinal sins. ;-)

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'll stick with Rover's interpretation because it's the only one that makes it a joke in my opinion. And I like the joke now too. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think it was supposed to be ha-ha funny. I think the reference was to how bbeautiful it was when it was just the Garden of Eden, before mankind. I too would find it odd for a monk to be boastful and imply he had improved on God' work. But it's not a philosophy thread, so I'll say no more.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think it's a joke with the correct interpretation given above, but the gardener should not be a monk. He should be an ordinary gardener, or someone for whom agnosticism/atheism doesn't throw in a complication. (Or even Martin Gardner, who, for those who don't know, is a famous skeptic.) ;-)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I last heard it, it was an ordinary gardener and the passer-by was the vicar.

It makes more sense like that.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.