Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Afrikaans
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Qatar
Looking at the phonetic chart available on this site, has anyone noticed 1) under the vowels section the symbols for 'until' - not sure if the ' u-' in until is that indicated? And
2) under the dipthongs 'nose' - Is there a symbol like that or is it meant to be an upside down and back to front 'e'?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Wvdm.

This symbol, /ə/, known as schwa, is the unstressed vowel that we hear in BrE in such words as until - and about, the, ration, Russia, photographer, cemetery, thorough, bureaucrat, station, invasion, patient, pigeon, gorgeous, gynaecology, forget, failure, status

/əʊ/ represents the diphthong we hear in BrE 'nose'. In AmE, the sound is closer to /oʊ/

Last edited by a moderator:

Wvdm74

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Afrikaans
Home Country
South Africa
Current Location
Qatar
Welcome to the forum, Wvdm.

This symbol, /ə/, known as schwa, is the unstressed vowel that we hear in BrE in such words as until - and about, the, ration, Russia, photographer, cemetery, thorough, bureaucrat, station, invasion, patient, pigeon, gorgeous, gynaecology, forget, failure, status

/əʊ/ represents the diphthong we hear in BrE 'nose'. In AmE, the sound is closer to /oʊ/

I am well aware of all that. So am I correct to say the symbol in the chart needs to be corrected to /əʊ /and not
to be upside down. In 'until' it should be /ʌ /as in up for BR E?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am well aware of all that.
Others who read this thread may not be.
So am I correct to say the symbol in the chart needs to be corrected to /əʊ /and not to be upside down.
Yes.
In 'until' it should be /ʌ /as in up for BR E?
No. It can be /ʌ /, but schwa is more common in BrE.

Status
Not open for further replies.