[General] "Please come again" and "Have a nice day"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

As I heard that when you left the shop. In UK, the shop assistant would say "Please come again", but in US, the shop assistant wouldn't say "Please come again", they just say "Have a nice day!".....is that true?

WYH

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
I've never actually heard anyone say 'Please come again'. The only time I've heard it is Apu from The Simpsons, and he's in the US. I have heard the occasional 'have a nice day', but normally if the cashier says anything, it's just 'thank you' or 'thanks', and a 'see you later' or something similar.

In some shops, they will have a sign over the exit which reads 'Thank you for shopping at X. We hope to see you again.' or something similar.

phrasemix

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah, I can't remember someone working in a store actually say either of these. That's probably because the person working at the store isn't getting paid much and doesn't have much reason to care whether you come again or not.

I imagine that in books and television shows for children, all of the shop owners are really nice and happy, and say "please come again" when you exit the shop. The lessons that you read in an English textbook might also have that kind of phrase. But I'd be surprised to hear such cheerful store employees in real life.

nitikasnv

Member Type
Student or Learner
I do agree:

I've never actually heard anyone say 'Please come again'. The only time I've heard it is Apu from The Simpsons, and he's in the US. I have heard the occasional 'have a nice day', but normally if the cashier says anything, it's just 'thank you' or 'thanks', and a 'see you later' or something similar.

In some shops, they will have a sign over the exit which reads 'Thank you for shopping at X. We hope to see you again.' or something similar.

Hi,

I do agree that i have also not heard the word like this.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.