Any recommendation on reading exercise materials like Horrible Histories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I purchased the Horrible Histories for students to improve their reading speed and overall understanding of the English language.

This series of books are funny, witty, and full of historical facts, however, this turns out to be not so effective as the students can't cope with the size of vocabulary involved in the books.

I am hoping to find an alternative that is less vocabulary-demanding and equally interesting.

Could anyone please offer some recommendations?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This series of books are funny, witty, and full of historical facts. However, this turns out to be not so effective as the students can't cope with the size of vocabulary involved in the books.
How old are your students?

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
They are non-native speakers, neither am I. They are between 16-18.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They are non-native speakers [STRIKE], neither[/STRIKE] and so am I. They are between 16 and 18.

Note my corrections above. If you'd said "They are not native speakers" (negative statement), you could have followed it with "and neither am I". However, "They are non-native speakers" is a positive statement, not a negative statement, so it needs to be followed by "and so am I".

"16-18" means "16 to 18". You can't be between one number to another; you can be between one number and another. Having said that, the only number between 16 and 18 is 17 so, technically, you're saying they're all 17. You could say "They're aged from sixteen to eighteen inclusive".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Have you looked at graded readers, which use a reduced vocab?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Unfortunately for you, doletotodole, given your location, this is probably of no use to you, but other teachers interested in these answers and based in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand, will find that large bookshops have a section labelled Young Adult, which includes material for students in this age-range (and beyond).

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Further to Rover's suggestion, both Project Gutenberg and Internet Archive Books have plenty of fiction for young adults. That category tends to use rather basic vocabulary.

doletotodole

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
All right, sir. I really appreciate your corrections. I now realise how difficult it is to write in proper English, let alone being an English teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
All right. [STRIKE]sir.[/STRIKE] I really appreciate your corrections. I now realise how difficult it is to write in proper English, let alone [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] be an English teacher.

See above. Please don't refer to users here as "sir". Not only is it overly formal, but it suggests you assume we are all male. We are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.