Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Are these sentences correct:

1-He either did not take his medication this morning or drank in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad.

2-He did not take his medication this morning or drank in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad.

3-John either did not talk to Mary or Sally. I do not know which.

4-John did not talk to Mary or Sally. I do not know which.
Meaning of '3' and '4': He did not talk to one of the two, but I don't know which one he did not talk to, Mary or Sally.

Gratefully,
Navi.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1- I would use Either he....
3 & 4 don't work for me. How about He didn't manage to speak to both, but I don't know whether he spoke to Mary or Sally.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much Tdol.
So '2' works?

Gratefully,
Navi.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
2-He did not take his medication this morning or drank in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad.

He did not take his medication or drink ​in the afternoon.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He did not take his medication or drink ​in the afternoon.

Changing the verb from "drank" to "drink" changes the meaning of the sentence.

I read the original as: He either did not take his medication this morning or (he) drank in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad. [Not taking his medication] is one reason; [drinking] is another.
If the verb is changed, I read: He either did not take his medication this morning or (he did not) drink in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad. [Not taking his medication] is one reason; [not drinking] is another.

Based on the sentence, I think the "drinking" that is referred to is alcohol. That fits the original meaning.
However, if the "drinking" refers to any liquids, and dehydration is a possibility, then your amended sentence is better.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If it meant "he might have taken alcohol in the afternoon" I would say that it needs to be worded:

"Either he did not take his medication this morning or he drank in the afternoon ..."

For me, any verb which follows "he did not" must also be assumed to take "he did not". Without the extra "he", then I read "Either he did not take his medication this morning or he did not drink in the afternoon" (which, as I said, requires "drink" not "drank").

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it meant "he might have taken alcohol in the afternoon" I would say that it needs to be worded:

"Either he did not take his medication this morning or he drank in the afternoon ..."

For me, any verb which follows "he did not" must also be assumed to take "he did not". Without the extra "he", then I read "Either he did not take his medication this morning or he did not drink in the afternoon" (which, as I said, requires "drink" not "drank").

I understand. I thought that was how you read it. Your addition of "he" before "drank" solves the problem completely.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you all very much.

If I understand correctly this one does not work:

How about:

2a-He did not take his medication this morning or he drank in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad.

Gratefully,
Navi.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you all very much.

If I understand correctly this one does not work:

How about:

2a-He did not take his medication this morning or he drank in the afternoon. Those are the two things that can have made him feel bad.
If you look at post #6, you will see that that is exactly the sentence I suggested.

Gratefully,
Navi.

See above.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much Emsr2d2,

Mine (2a) does not have 'either' at the beginning. Yours begins with 'either.

I don't really like '2a' because of that. I feel that the disjunction is not expressed clearly. But maybe it is just equivalent to your sentence. In any case I like yours better.

Gratefully,
Navi.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much Emsr2d2,

Mine (2a) does not have 'either' at the beginning. Yours begins with 'either.

I don't really like '2a' because of that. I feel that the disjunction is not expressed clearly. But maybe it is just equivalent to your sentence. In any case I like yours better.

Gratefully,
Navi.

Apologies, I did not notice your omission of "either".

I find that the word "either" introduces the idea of possibility. Starting with "He did not take his medication this morning ..." sounds like a statement of fact. It's then confusing to follow it with "or" and another possibility.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much Emsr2d2.

No need for apologies. My questions are confusing!

Gratefully,
Navi.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you very much Emsr2d2.

No need for apologies. My questions are confusing!

Gratefully,
Navi.

You always pose good questions, Navi.

navi tasan

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location