Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Would you please find an alternative word to "transitions" in the following? It's confusing.

Elise was a stickler for perfection, reminding people that their focused efforts often meant the difference between life and death. Mistakes were intolerable and seamless transitions between teams were mandatory. Yet, as she evaluated everyone around her, she was perpetually negative.

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would you please find an alternative word to "transitions" in the following? It's confusing.

Elise was a stickler for perfection, reminding people that their focused efforts often meant the difference between life and death. Mistakes were intolerable and seamless transitions between teams were mandatory. Yet, as she evaluated everyone around her, she was perpetually negative.

Thank you.
Any alternative would depend upon the meaning of "transitions" here. What is the process which is occurring between the teams which Elise wants to be seamless?

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Let me provide you with more context.

Elise was an emergency room doctor at a large metropolitan hospital. She and her colleagues working the midnight shift witnessed the most gruesome accidents night after night..... The team of nurses and other doctors knew that Elise was smart.....When we came in to work with ER team, Elise was struck by the description of a Cynic.....

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Let me provide you with more context.
Please, go ahead ...

Elise was an emergency room doctor at a large metropolitan hospital. She and her colleagues working the midnight shift witnessed the most gruesome accidents night after night..... The team of nurses and other doctors knew that Elise was smart.....When we came in to work with ER team, Elise was struck by the description of a Cynic.....
That is not context that explains what the transition between one team and the next is. You asked for an alternative to the word "transition" in "the seamless transition between teams" on the grounds that "transition" was confusing. Do you actually mean you don't understand what it means, and you want an explanation? This is a different thing.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it means that when one team goes off duty, and another team takes over, the provision of patient care must be "seamless". A patient's care must not be compromised by the fresh team saying, "They didn't tell us about that", and that sort of thing.
One team taking over from another is a "transition".
I don't see a need for an alternative term, but "changeover" might work. Givng a better explanation of what you mean would be preferable to changing "transitions" to another word.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Now I get the picture.

I know "transition" literally means "some change from one state to another", but I was not sure exactly what change it refers to in the context. I couldn't imagine it is saying "handing over and taking over duties between teams."

Many thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.