Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I know that past adverbs can't go with present perfect like the following, but why is that? I think it's because present perfect is focused on the present, while past adverbs are focused on the past, so the two are contradicting each other.
And the other reason I learned in a grammar book is that if you use past adverbs, it's only restricted to a certain past point, while present perfect covers a longer period from the past point to the present time. What do you think is the primary reason?

ex)I have visited New York last year(or in 2010) (incorrect)
=> I visited New York last year(or in 2010) (correct)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There are no 'past adverb'. There is the past tense and the present perfect tense of verbs.
The rule is simple : where the time in the past is stated, in this case 'last year', you only use the past tense.

not a teacher

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As Tedmc said, when the timeframe is included, you use the simple past tense.

I have visited New York.
I visited New York last year.
I visited New York a decade ago.
I visited New York three times in 2009.
I visited New York for the first time in 1998.

There is a slight exception to this when the timeframe includes an implied "until now".

I have visited New York three times so far.
I have visited New York four times in my lifetime.

The suggestion is that you might go to New York again but, so far, you have only visited a certain number of times.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
As Tedmc said, when the timeframe is included, you use the simple past tense.

I have visited New York.
I visited New York last year.
I visited New York a decade ago.
I visited New York three times in 2009.
I visited New York for the first time in 1998.

There is a slight exception to this when the timeframe includes an implied "until now".

I have visited New York three times so far.
I have visited New York four times in my lifetime.

The suggestion is that you might go to New York again but, so far, you have only visited a certain number of times.

I'm sorry but I asked why the two, past time frame and present perfect can't go together.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I'm sorry but I asked why the two, past time frame and present perfect can't go together.

I am not sure what you mean by the two tenses 'can't go together'.

As I said, if the time is stated, you use only the past tense.

But if the time is not stated, either tense can be use.

Ex. I went to New York.
I have gone to New York.

I visited New York
I have visited New York.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I am not sure what you mean by the two tenses 'can't go together'.

As I said, if the time is stated, you use only the past tense.

But if the time is not stated, either tense can be use.

Ex. I went to New York.
I have gone to New York. This is incorrect.

I visited New York
I have visited New York.
Bhai.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
OK, I have been to New York.
'Have gone' does sound a bit unusual.

Bhai
Instead of just saying it is not correct, why don't you tell us why?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
OK, I have been to New York.
'Have gone' does sound a bit unusual.

Bhai
Instead of just saying it is not correct, why don't you tell us why?
It's because if you went to New York, you are not here any more, how can you talk to someone here while you are away in New York?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I know that past adverbs can't go with present perfect like the following, but why is that? I think it's because present perfect is focused on the present, while past adverbs are focused on the past, so the two are contradicting each other.
And the other reason I learned in a grammar book is that if you use past adverbs, it's only restricted to a certain past point, while present perfect covers a longer period from the past point to the present time. What do you think is the primary reason?
I don't think it's as simple as giving two versions of the reason and asking which is primary. They seem to mean pretty much the same thing: you have a verb form (or tense if you prefer) that refers to one time, and an adverb that refers to another. So we don't use them together.
But some languages do use the cognate to our present perfect together with cognate past adverbs. So maybe the "primary reason" is that English is more rational. That's unlikely.
I feel there's a problem with the concept of there being "primary reasons" for things being the way they are in a natural language.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's because if you went to New York, you are not here any more, how can you talk to someone here while you are away in New York?

Fair enough, if I can be at two places at one time.
So much for trying to make the two tenses 'go together'.:-D

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't think it's as simple as giving two versions of the reason and asking which is primary. They seem to mean pretty much the same thing: you have a verb form (or tense if you prefer) that refers to one time, and an adverb that refers to another. So we don't use them together.
But some languages do use the cognate to our present perfect together with cognate past adverbs. So maybe the "primary reason" is that English is more rational. That's unlikely.
I feel there's a problem with the concept of there being "primary reasons" for things being the way they are in a natural language.

By this, do you mean present perfect refers to the present? This is quite important for me....
you have a verb form (or tense if you prefer) that refers to one time,

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The present perfect refers to a period of time which starts at an unspecified moment in the past and continues up to, and includes, the present moment.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
By this, do you mean present perfect refers to the present? This is quite important for me....
you have a verb form (or tense if you prefer) that refers to one time,
What bhai said.
But I've always considered the present perfect to relate primarily to the present. It's about what is true in the present, and it mentions the past only insofar as it is relevant to whatever point is being made about the present.

A: "You would understand this if you had ever lived in poverty.
B: "I have been poor."

B is saying something about the present. When he was poor, and the past circumstances are not in focus. The relevance is in the presence. B is a person who now understands what it means to be poor. He is not making a point primarily about his own past poverty, but his current understanding.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What bhai said.
But I've always considered the present perfect to relate primarily to the present. It's about what is true in the present, and it mentions the past only insofar as it is relevant to whatever point is being made about the present.

A: "You would understand this if you had ever lived in poverty.
B: "I have been poor."

B is saying something about the present. When he was poor, and the past circumstances are not in focus. The relevance is in the presence. B is a person who now understands what it means to be poor. He is not making a point primarily about his own past poverty, but his current understanding.

You confirmed my belief in it! Awesome!!! Thanks a million!!! :up::up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.