Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
This can be achieved due to the fact that by definition, one's perception differs from others'.
[FONT=&quot]I was in the midst of an essay earlier when I came came across this line. I really was stumped on what I should do in regard to the apostrophe on "ones". I would have thought that it came before the 's' but then again, I am referring to 'one' in the context that it refers to everyone and as such, I was not sure whether or not this makes it a plural (and therefore the apostrophe should come after the 's') or not.

Help!
[/FONT]

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
[FONT=&quot]I was in the midst of an essay earlier when I came came across this line. I really was stumped on what I should do in regard to the apostrophe on "ones". I would have thought that it came before the 's' but then again, I am referring to 'one' in the context that it refers to everyone and as such, I was not sure whether or not this makes it a plural (and therefore the apostrophe should come after the 's') or not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Help![/FONT]

It is not plural and the apostrophe comes before "s".
The plural form is "ones".
I am almost sure that you don't need to use "ones" in a possesive combination so you never see ones' .

By the way, hello and welcome aboard. If you are a native speaker of English then probably you don't need my advice.

Warfare

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
It is not plural and the apostrophe comes before "s".
The plural form is "ones".
I am almost sure that you don't need to use "ones" in a possesive combination so you never see ones' .

By the way, hello and welcome aboard. If you are a native speaker of English then probably you don't need my advice.
Ah, yes. It does make more sense to have the apostrophe before the 's' the more I look at it.

However, I just looked back through the same essay and uncovered this.
can create and the way in which colour remains relative to ones’ expectations.
This I wrote naturally without even stopping to think about it. I think it may just be my interpretation of 'ones', for some reason I cannot get it out of my head that it is not a plural; it looks as though it is directed at the reader (and thus, is singular) but at the same time, it refers to everyone (and to me that would make it a plural).

I really cannot get my head around this at all, haha.

//Thank you for the welcome. English is my native language, but there are times when it certainly doesn't feel like it!

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
not a teacher.

I think that

1) one-one's (singular)
2) ones-ones' (plural)

Again, among others, the ethical standards that address reservations or limitations about ones' opinions should be considered.

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
I think it may just be my interpretation of 'ones', for some reason I cannot get it out of my head that it is not a plural; it looks as though it is directed at the reader (and thus, is singular) but at the same time, it refers to everyone (and to me that would make it a plural).

Check this magic out.:)

Nobody wants to work tonight, do they?

Is nobody plural or singular?

If it's singular then why do we have do they?
If it's plural then why do we have wants?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
not a teacher.

I think that

1) one-one's (singular)
2) ones-ones' (plural)

Again, among others, the ethical standards that address reservations or limitations about ones' opinions should be considered.

I am not sure about ones' .
I have never heard it.
I think ones has such a grammatical function and position that we don't need to use it in a possesive combination as ones' .

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
The example I provided is not made up by me. I picked it up from a book.

Warfare

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
UK
I am not sure about ones' .
I have never heard it.
I think ones has such a grammatical function and position that we don't need to use it in a possesive combination as ones' .
Yes, I am thinking this way now. I think I may have slightly misinterpreted it. Thanks.

Check this magic out.:)

Nobody wants to work tonight, do they?

Is nobody plural or singular?

If it's singular then why do we have do they?
If it's plural then why do we have wants?
But then 'nobody wants to work tonight' does not imply ownership ;-)

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, I am thinking this way now. I think I may have slightly misinterpreted it. Thanks.

But then 'nobody wants to work tonight' does not imply ownership ;-)
That's right. The point is a bit broader than that. I just showed you another controversial phenomenon in English.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
...one's perception differs from others'.

'One' is a single person and 'others' are plural people, therefore the apostrophes are correct.

Compare
...my perception differs from that of other people.

Rover

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

I am afraid I can't find any other sentences with ones' .

Coolfootluke

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&quot]I was in the midst of an essay earlier when I came came across this line. I really was stumped on what I should do in regard to the apostrophe on "ones". I would have thought that it came before the 's' but then again, I am referring to 'one' in the context that it refers to everyone and as such, I was not sure whether or not this makes it a plural (and therefore the apostrophe should come after the 's') or not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Help![/FONT]
I am not a teacher.

You just got wrapped around the axle. It happens to the best of us from time to time. The other pronouns don't make a plural in "-s", they have different forms for that. "One" means "a representative person", not "everybody", and its plural is "people", sort of.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Or even "of those of others."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Lots of things going on in this thread. I'll attempt to give my answers to some of the points.

1. One should have the courage of one's convictions.
This is a perfectly normal use of the apostrophe. Use of one in this way is quite formal, and possibly a little old-fashioned, in BrE. I believe that AmE would use his rather than one's, but this needs confirmation.
One used in this way has no plural, so there can be no ones or ones'.

2. Look at those apples. The one on the plate is all right, but the ones in the bowl are rotten.
We could use those instead of the ones here. I cannot think of an example in which we could use an apostrophe denoting possession with this use of the words one/ones.

3a. Nobody wants to work tonight, do they?
Nobody
is singular. If the speaker were addressing a roomful of males, the question tag could be does he? However, even here, do they? would be acceptable. Once the initial question of subject/verb agreement has been settled, the speaker appears to think of the group addresed as a plural number.

3b.There is somebody at the door. They want to speak to George.
Here too, somebody is singular. The plural pronoun, once considered sub-standard, is now widely accepted as an alternative to he or she, especially if the gender is unknown, or we don't wish to mention it - perhaps the speaker in #3a is George's brother, and he does not want to let the other members of the family know that the somebody is George's girlfriend.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am afraid I can't find any other sentences with ones' .

It took me a long time to figure out an example of that.

Suppose a teacher divides his class into two. He calls half of the children ones and the other half twos.

He gives the class a written test and then says 'Right, swap papers. The twos are going to mark the ones' answers and vice versa.'

I'll get my coat.

Rover

Reactions: 5jj

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It took me a long time to figure out an example of that.

Suppose a teacher divides his class into two. He calls half of the children ones and the other half twos.

He gives the class a written test and then says 'Right, swap papers. The twos are going to mark the ones' answers and vice versa.'

I'll get my coat.

Rover

No Rover! You are cheating, otherwise you are kidding. That was a good joke though, you might have your coat, thank you!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
No Rover! You are cheating, otherwise you are kidding. That was a good joke though.
He's not cheating. That is a possible, if rather unusual, scenario. It is this sort of thing that makes me very wary about saying 'never' or 'impossible' when I am talking about grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.