[General] Odd & Even

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 11,316
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Do we have odd and even days in a week? If yes, which days are odd and which days are even?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

No, because most people don't even agree which day comes first - Sunday, or Monday. I guess if you decided that Monday was the first day of the week, you could make them odd and even, but it isn't an established thing and if you said to someone, "I'm going to the gym every even day of the week", they wouldn't know whether it was Monday, Wednesday, and Friday (Sunday the first day of the week); or Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (Monday the first day of the week).

There are odd and even days insofar as dates are concerned - Today is an odd day because it's the 11th.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, because most people don't even agree which day comes first - Sunday, or Monday. ...
:up: (Online calendars, and mobile phones' 'calendar' function, all allow you to choose the day when a week starts.)

b

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
:up: (Online calendars, and mobile phones' 'calendar' function, all allow you to choose the day when a week starts.)

b

In France the week starts on Monday, but they don't count days as being odd or even. They do however count dates and weeks as being odd and even, "paire" or "impaire".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Oh well, if you want to bring other languages into it, why not consider Potuguese? ;-) The've even got the numbers written in their weekday names. But they are ordinals - 'second', 'third' etc. Perhaps a native speaker of Portuguese would tell us whether they regard segunda, quarta and sexta as 'even'; I doubt it.

b

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Oh well, if you want to bring other languages into it, why not consider Potuguese? ;-) The've even got the numbers written in their weekday names. But they are ordinals - 'second', 'third' etc. Perhaps a native speaker of Portuguese would tell us whether they regard segunda, quarta and sexta as 'even'; I doubt it.

b

I asked my fiancée, and she said no, they don't refer to days as odd or even, despite them being numbered. She is Brazilian.

She also said that she, and probably many others, consider(s) Monday as the first day of the week, despite it being called segunda (second).

Status
Not open for further replies.