Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi there!

I'm looking for a way to translate the words "classe bilangue" into English.
It is a class where French pupils learn how to speak both English and German so they start learning two foreign languages at the same time.
Is the expression "bilingual section" correct?

Thanks a lot!!!
Kind regards.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there!

I'm looking for a way to translate the words "classe bilangue" into English.
It is a class where French pupils learn how to speak both English and German so they start learning two foreign languages at the same time.
Is the expression "bilingual section" correct?

Thanks a lot!!!
Kind regards.

"Bilingual" is fine but I don't know why you want to change "class" to "section". I would probably be more inclined to say that "dual-language classes" are taught at a "bilingual school".

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I don't fully understand the details of your "classe bilangue," but I would say that any class in which instruction takes place in two languages could simply be called a "bilingual classroom" and speakers would understand that the class is taught in two languages.

In the US, we have some schools (especially elementary schools) where children learn their subjects in a non-English language, and we refer to them as "immersion classrooms," where somebody going to the French or Chinese Academy in my town would say they're in "French immersion" or "Chinese immersion" classes.

Hope this helps!

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

Status
Not open for further replies.