Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

The uncountable nouns are those nouns which take no article before themselves, but in many cases I see definite article "The" used before them.

Can we always use "the" before uncountable or even plural nouns? If that's so, what's the difference between this usage and putting not a definite article before them?

Let me clarify it with an example:

I have to love the diversity.

I have to love diversity.

I think both are correct, but I don't know when I am allowed to put "the" before uncountable nouns.

Regards,

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Nouns used uncountably can and do take the definite article, whenever we are speaking of a defined amount/mass of the thing denoted.

The first is possible only if the diversity spoken about is defined/restricted in some way -I have to love the diversity I find in Manchester.

Dear Piscean I know that the definite article gives us a clue of something mentioned before, but the problem is I have many times seen that the first sentence of an article which has got an uncountable noun has taken a definite article! Surely, in such cases we have to read through the article to get the idea of that thing.

I'm not a native speaker of English but I feel that it must have got another reason when people use "the" before uncountable nouns.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I'm not a native speaker either, but I feel that the following could be a reason.

1. I drink water every day.
2. I drink the water from the well every day.

I use 'the' because I am referring to the specific water drawn from the well.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dear Piscean, I know that the definite article gives us a clue of something mentioned before...
...which is why the opening sentence of your post should be

[STRIKE]The[/STRIKE] 'Uncountable nouns are those ...'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is the second time that you have indicated that you believe the use of the definite article has something to do with something having been mentioned before. It doesn't. It can be used that way but that's not the only way it is used.

Flogger

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
This is the second time that you have indicated that you believe the use of the definite article has something to do with something having been mentioned before. It doesn't. It can be used that way but that's not the only way it is used.

Do you always count what I ask each time? :-D

But seriously I still have got problem with the usage of definite article before uncountable nouns because we have not almost such structure in Persian.

I would appreciate your telling me what you do think about "water" when you hear it in the below conversation.

A: what happened?

B: Nothing, she fell into the water.

I know that you presumable say: "the water" is a specific kind of water and "water" is general! But the question is about what kind of water you do think when you hear "the water".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The water" simply indicates that it was a specific body of water that she fell into. It's possible to say "She fell into water" but it wouldn't sound natural and it would almost certainly elicit a follow-up question such as "Really? Where?"

"She fell in the water" is specific to the body of water located wherever she was (swimming pool, lake, ocean etc).

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
'She fell into the water' = 'She fell into the water near her'.

Is that correct?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
'She fell into the water' = 'She fell into the water near her'.

Is that correct?

She would almost certainly have to be near the water to fall into it, but the wider context would tell us more- if she were in a park, we'd know it meant the lake or pond.

Status
Not open for further replies.