Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"If I were getting up a moving party, I wouldn't be having it at my place. I would rent a cottage place so nobody could hear us partying." "Otherwise police are going to come over and shut us down."

Is it possible to start with a conditional sentence and go on with an affirmative sentence using different tenses?

Last edited:

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi ostap77

As a NES, but not a teacher, I believe you are almost there, as written.
I would, personally have said something like:

"If I were arranging a moving party, I wouldn't have it at my place. I would rent a cottage somewhere, so that nobody could hear us partying." "Otherwise the police might come over and shut us down."

Hope this helps
R21

PS It's normal to have a "leaving party" at or near your existing address, as people know where to come and/or a "house-warming" party at your new address, to get to know the neighbours - if your neighbours get an invite to the party they are less likely to complain to the police at either end!
There can't be too many people who would rent out their cottage for a rowdy party and risk it getting wrecked for a one night rental fee!

Last edited:

curates-egg

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Germany
... so nobody could [STRIKE]here[/STRIKE] hear us partying.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
NB: Nobody could hear us, not here us.

(In the U.S., we call that a going-away party.)

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
NB: Nobody could hear us, not here us.

(In the U.S., we call that a going-away party.)
Yes,
1. "hear, here" - typo in original text, not noticed.
2. As a Brit, I would also recognise either "going-away" or "leaving-party", rather than "moving-party".
R21

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes,
1. "hear, here" - typo in original text, not noticed.
2. As a Brit, I would also recognise either "going-away" or "leaving-party", rather than "moving-party".
R21

Could I go on,after two hypothetical conditional sentences, with "Otherwise cops are going to......" ? As if I was going to say "if we don't rent a cottage cops are goint to come over and shut us down" but said the second part of the sentence without the the if-clause?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi ostap77

I would have thought that a lot of vehicles turning up at an isolated country cottage would be more likely to stimulate the interest of the police (thinking you had something to hide - such as drugs) than a more normal situation of hiring the local "village hall" or a room at a local "pub" (public ale-house), where people are used to late-night revellers.

As said in my previous post, I would have no problem with: "Otherwise the police might come over and shut us down."

It's not a forgone conclusion that the police would shut you down, whether you were at your place or at a rented cottage.

Regards
R21

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi ostap77

I would have thought that a lot of vehicles turning up at an isolated country cottage would be more likely to stimulate the interest of the police (thinking you had something to hide - such as drugs) than a more normal situation of hiring the local "village hall" or a room at a local "pub" (public ale-house), where people are used to late-night revellers.

As said in my previous post, I would have no problem with: "Otherwise the police might come over and shut us down."

It's not a forgone conclusion that the police would shut you down, whether you were at your place or at a rented cottage.

Regards
R21

It would be a forgone situation if you're officially allowed to party until a certain hour, in my country it's 22.00 pm, and want to have an allnighter? Neigbors most definetely would call the police. That's why many people go to a lake area where there isn't so many neighbors and houses aren't so close to each other
In general, if a situation was forgone, would it be gramatically OK to go on with "going to" after a hypothetical conditional?

Route21

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Thailand
Hi ostap77

Given the new information (that might have been more helpful if in the OP) that it is legal to party up to 10pm and illegal to party after that time, I would modify my previous suggestion to: "Otherwise the police will come over and shut us down."

If you are still wanting a decision on the grammatical correctness of "going to" after a hypothetical conditional, rather than taking up my suggestion, then I would defer to one of our teachers/academics for a definitive answer.

Regards
R21

Status
Not open for further replies.