Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,

This is just part of story.
A dog’s barking somewhere in the distance. Is it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field doesn’t know. There is only one idea in his mind at the moment: he must find food and some warm clothes, but where?

The students have read it and then they have these directions:

Now using the narrative tenses rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules go to page 2 inthe Student Writing Support.

This is how the text should look:

A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a policedog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?

My question is on the article
‘the’. Should I change it to ‘that’ because there’s the word ‘moment’ after it, or I should just leave it the way it is with 'the'?

Thanks in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi teachers,

This is just part of story.
A dog’s barking somewhere in the distance. Is it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field doesn’t know. There is only one idea in his mind at the moment: he must find food and some warm clothes, but where?

The students have read it and then they have these directions:

Now using the narrative tenses rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules go to page 2 inthe Student Writing Support.

This is how the text should look:

A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a policedog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?

My question is on the article
‘the’. Should I change it to ‘that’ because there’s the word ‘moment’ after it, or I should just leave it the way it is with 'the'?

Thanks in advance.

"A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?" This is correct, "the" would be wrong.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
"A dog was barking somewhere in the distance. Was it a police dog perhaps? The man in the field didn’t know. There was only one idea in his mind at that moment: he had to find food and some warm clothes, but where?" This is correct, "the" would be wrong.

Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. Is it just because of the word 'moment' after it that I should change it?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

[AmE - not a teacher]

Personally, I would include commas here:

[Strike]Now[/Strike] Using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in <space> the Student Writing Support.

Perhaps some teacher can correct me if this is wrong.

Also, "in the Student Writing Support" sounds odd to me. Student Writing Support what, web site? Workbook? Powerpoint? If that is the literal title, then I think I would leave off the article: "For detailed rules, go to page 2 in Student Writing Support."

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi BobSmith,
Thank you for your suggestions.
The manuscript has at the very beginning 'The Student Writing Support'

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Thank you so much for your reply. Is it just because of the word 'moment' after it that I should change it?

Not specifically the use of the word "moment". In the present tense, we would use "at the moment", "at the time", "on the day" etc. If you move those into the narrative (past simple), they become "at that moment", "at that time", "on that day" etc.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it "On the day" could remain the same in the narrative.

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Not specifically the use of the word "moment". In the present tense, we would use "at the moment", "at the time", "on the day" etc. If you move those into the narrative (past simple), they become "at that moment", "at that time", "on that day" etc.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it "On the day" could remain the same in the narrative.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your reply.

L54

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
[AmE - not a teacher]

Personally, I would include commas here:

[Strike]Now[/Strike] Using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in <space> the Student Writing Support.

Perhaps some teacher can correct me if this is wrong.

Also, "in the Student Writing Support" sounds odd to me. Student Writing Support what, web site? Workbook? Powerpoint? If that is the literal title, then I think I would leave off the article: "For detailed rules, go to page 2 in Student Writing Support."

Hi,
To me Bob's suggestion sounds very fine, but could a teacher confirm it please?

L54

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi,
To me Bob's suggestion sounds very fine, but could a teacher confirm it please?

L54
I would punctuate your original sentences like this:
Now, using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in the Student Writing Support.
If you delete "now", as he suggested, I agree with his punctuation.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I would punctuate your original sentences like this:
Now, using the narrative tenses, rewrite Episode 3 on page 14. For detailed rules, go to page 2 in the Student Writing Support.
If you delete "now", as he suggested, I agree with his punctuation.

Hi,
Thank you very much for your help.

Best,
L54

Status
Not open for further replies.