Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,
Nowadays, I am doing a self-study and during doing an exercise I came across a phrase; "on the grounds that". I just cannot understand what this means. This is the sentence where I got this phrase "He refused to lend anyone money on the grounds that people rarely pay a loan.". Could you please clarify this sentence to me?

Thanks.

(Note: please correct me if I wrote this "I am doing a self-study" wrong. Because I feel I am wrong myself.)

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that sentence, you can replace "on the grounds that" with "because".

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My Oxford dictionary says 'self-study' is uncountable, so I think the article should be removed.
And this dictionary says it's not.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/self-study

Nevertheless, I think "self-study", as the OP has used it, tends to mean a study of oneself - at least in my experience, as in #2 in the above. I'd write, "I'm doing self-study..." or "I'm doing self-studies..." Note that this dictionary also doesn't use 'a'. It's simply "self-study".

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Thanks Mike. Then, does "one the grounds that" mean only "because"? Or it has other meanings besides "because"? But considering your answer, it seems there are more meanings.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"On the grounds" can mean "on the property". The lost dog was found on the grounds of his family's estate.

It also can have various legal meanings:

on the grounds adjective argued, arising from, based on, brought as a result of, brought onaccount of, built on, contingent upon, dependent on, established by, founded on, grounded on,justified by, rationalized by, relying on, rested on, rooted in, settled upon
Associated concepts: charges brought on the grounds that, grounds for divorce, legal grounds,on the grounds for appeal, on the grounds of prejudice, predicted on the grounds for dismissalBurton's Legal Thesaurus, 4E. Copyright © 2007 by William C. Burton. Used with permission of The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Opening thread after request.

Status
Not open for further replies.