Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To provide the students with some knowledge of Amercan films, our club is ______ to hold an American Film Festival next week. As chairman of the club, I'm writing to invite you to come and give us a talk on the history of American films.

"planning" is a suitable answer.

But can I fill in "prepared" to express a way of planning?

Thanks

Jason

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

NOT A TEACHER

I'd say no. "Prepared" means "to be willing to do something", see definition #1. The club intends to hold a festival. "Planning" can be used to express an intention, see definition #2.

Last edited:

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To provide the students with some knowledge of Amercan films, our club is ______ to hold an American Film Festival next week. As chairman of the club, I'm writing to invite you to come and give us a talk on the history of American films.

"planning" is a suitable answer.

Thanks

Jason
To be prepared is to be able to execute an action immediately. It is one thing to say that you are planning to jump out of an airplane and quite another to be prepared to jump. To plan to jump indicates that you are still considering the various steps of jumping (hire an airplane, rent a parachute, complete last will and testament). To be prepared to jump indicates that you have completed all of the necessary steps needed to jump and are standing at the open door of the airplane gazing at the ground 8,000 feet below.

As to your question of substituting words in your letter, you are not prepared since you are still trying to get a speaker to come to the event. When you are truly prepared, all that should be needed is for someone to open the door and welcome the attendees.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You could use "preparing" though.

Status