[Grammar] Regarding the past tense and the use of a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Sentence: "If they had any case or proof against him after so many investigations they would have register(ed) an FIR against him by now"

My question: Should the word register in the sentence be in the form of past tense ? And does the word by now has been used correctly in the sentence ?

Thanks

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Sentence: "If they had any case or proof against him after so many investigations they would have register(ed) an FIR against him by now"

My question: Should the word register in the sentence be in the form of past tense ? And does the word by now has been used correctly in the sentence ?

Thanks
Yes, it should be "registered" "have registered" is present perfect, which is constructed with "have" + the past participle of the verb. "By now" is used correctly.

Joe333

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Yes, it should be "registered" "have registered" is present perfect, which is constructed with "have" + the past participle of the verb. "By now" is used correctly.

Thanks sir. One more question did I use the verb does correctly in my question which you just answered ?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks sir. One more question did I use the verb does correctly in my question which you just answered ?

No, "does" is not necessary or correct.
"And does the word by now has been used correctly in the sentence".
What you need to say is:
"Has the phrase "by now" been used correctly?":)

Status
Not open for further replies.