Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Are the following sentences natural? Will native speakers use them?

1)
Because the accuracy and ease with which resistance measurements may be made and the well-known manner in which resistance varies with temperature, it is common to use this variation to indicate changes in temperature.

2) Her diamond ring dazzled with brilliancy.

The first one is from a Chinese-English website but I don't remember which. The second one's source is not known.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"1) Because of the accuracy and ease with which resistance measurements may be made and the well-known manner in which resistance varies with temperature, it is common to use this variation to indicate changes in temperature."
This one's OK with the addition. "Indicate" might not be the right word. It doesn't convey the meaning. Do you mean measure, record, warn about, communicate?

"2) Her diamond ring dazzled with brilliance."
That doesn't sound natural. If it were dazzling with anything different, it might be worth mentioning.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"1) Because of the accuracy and ease with which resistance measurements may be made and the well-known manner in which resistance varies with temperature, it is common to use this variation to indicate changes in temperature."
This one's OK with the addition. "Indicate" might not be the right word. It doesn't convey the meaning. Do you mean measure, record, warn about, communicate?

"2) Her diamond ring dazzled with brilliance."
That doesn't sound natural. If it were dazzling with anything different, it might be worth mentioning.

I appreciate your help, Raymott. I can't find the source of the first sentence, but since you said it's okay now, I want to keep it for future reference. Do you mean that the sentence is okay is I change "indicate" to the four options you offered? Or perhaps even with the "Because of" and the change of "indicate", the sentence is still not okay. Then I'll delete it.

I wonder if the second one is also okay when it goes like "Her diamond ring dazzled with brilliance"? Or even with the change of "brilliancy" to "brilliance" the sentence is still not okay.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Couldn't accurate measures show changes?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Will[/STRIKE] Would native speakers use them?

I'm sure I've made the same change in several of your previous threads. Please use "Would" not "Will" in that question.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I appreciate your help, Raymott. I can't find the source of the first sentence, but since you said it's okay now, I want to keep it for future reference. Do you mean that the sentence is okay is I change "indicate" to the four options you offered? Or perhaps even with the "Because of" and the change of "indicate", the sentence is still not okay. Then I'll delete it.

I wonder if the second one is also okay when it goes like "Her diamond ring dazzled with brilliance"? Or even with the change of "brilliancy" to "brilliance" the sentence is still not okay.
1. No, I mean I can't work out why they're using the proxy for temperature. Do you know? To indicate to whom? It just seems like a lazy word that a person might use if they have no idea of what anyone would want to know the temperature for, or what the sentence is about. If the users of that sentence know, and it makes sense to them, then it's OK.

2. I'd say, "Her diamond ring was dazzling". The original just sounds like overkill. Diamond rings are meant to be be brilliant, so I think the hearer could assume that if it was dazzling, the brilliance might be the causative factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.