Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

In fact, almost any adjective can be used as a noun, just put “the” in front of it: “The dead shall walk the earth.” And any noun can be used as a verb, like in the famous example, “I’ll cookie you!” The possibilities are endless, as long as you’re creative. All this makes English a lot of fun- but it also definitely makes the language complicated!

cookie - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

Dictionary - Yahoo! Education

cookie - definition of cookie by Macmillan Dictionary

cookie - Definitions in British English Dictionary and Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

Online Etymology Dictionary

Cookie | Define Cookie at Dictionary.com

cookie: meaning and definitions — Infoplease.com

cookie | Free On-Line English Dictionary | Thesaurus | Children's, Intermediate Dictionary | Wordsmyth

cookie - Wiktionary

cookie - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

Definition of cookie | Collins English Dictionary

After checking all these dictionaries, I haven’t found a proof that says that the word "Cookie" can be used as a verb. Will you set me free from confusion, please? Also, I couldn't catch the meaning of "I’ll cookie you!"

Thank you, people, immensely for your help and understanding and apologize profusely for any inconvenience.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

In fact, almost any adjective can be used as a noun, just put “the” in front of it: “The dead shall walk the earth.” And any noun can be used as a verb, like in the famous example, “I’ll cookie you!” The possibilities are endless, as long as you’re creative. All this makes English a lot of fun- but it also definitely makes the language complicated!

cookie - WordReference.com Dictionary of English

Dictionary - Yahoo! Education

cookie - definition of cookie by Macmillan Dictionary

cookie - Definitions in British English Dictionary and Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

Online Etymology Dictionary

Cookie | Define Cookie at Dictionary.com

cookie: meaning and definitions — Infoplease.com

cookie | Free On-Line English Dictionary | Thesaurus | Children's, Intermediate Dictionary | Wordsmyth

cookie - Wiktionary

cookie - Dictionary Definition : Vocabulary.com

Definition of cookie | Collins English Dictionary

After checking all these dictionaries, I haven’t found a proof that says that the word "Cookie" can be used as a verb. Will you set me free from confusion, please? Also, I couldn't catch the meaning of "I’ll cookie you!"

Thank you, people, immensely for your help and understanding and apologize profusely for any inconvenience.

It can't be used as a verb. Where is that text from? It's nonsense.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
And any noun can be used as a verb, like in the famous example, “I’ll cookie you!” The possibilities are endless, as long as you’re creative.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Well, I don't know about any noun, but I have heard 'Can I beer you?' meaning 'Can I offer you a beer?'

I'm not familiar with 'cookie' used as a verb though.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It may exist, but it's not that famous- I have never heard it and Google only has a few thousand examples. I can see the idea, but it's a poor choice as an example of a famous case of a noun becoming a verb.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: The most likely meaning isn't obvious, but I found in the IT world a software engineer would often put him or herself in the position of the code they were writing. 'I take your input and validate it before returning a success response to your getAddress() call'; I='my code' and 'you'="your code".

Now if, in this case, you are runnnig an internet browser and I send you 'a cookie', it would make a kind of sense to say 'I'll cookie you'; you'd win no prizes for commmunication though. ;-)

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Cookie" may not be the best example, but you do have to admit that English does allow for the verbing of many nouns.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"Cookie" may not be the best example, but you do have to admit that English does allow for the verbing of many nouns.

Absolutely, and changing many other forms too.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The phrase "I'll X you!" can take almost any word that's silly enough. It's a type of nonsense phrase that you say when someone is bothering you about X - often said by a mother to a child. (It might not occur in all English-speaking places).
It's a vague, non-specific threat.
Child: I want a cookie! Give me a cookie!
Mother: Look, I'll cookie you if you're not careful!"

I'd advise learners not to bother trying to use this construction.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Shakespeare did it, and I'd be surpised if he was the first. In 'But me no buts' he first turned a conjunction into a verb, and then used that as a noun.

b

Odessa Dawn

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia

Shakespeare did it, and I'd be surprised if he was the first. In 'But me no buts' he first turned a conjunction into a verb, and then used that as a noun.

b
Thank you, BobK. According to this site, "But me no buts" is a common English phrase. From my point of view, it means you have no legitimate right to disagree whoever you are. In other words, forcing someone into submission. In a nutshell, it is a slave-like treatment.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not common here. I've never heard it.

but me no buts - Wiktionary

According to this it means that you will not hear any objections. That's hardly "slave-like." There are many situations where one person has the authority to make a decision and cut off argument.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As for it being a common phrase, I'd never read it before today.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

Thank you, BobK. According to this site, "But me no buts" is a common English phrase. From my point of view, it means you have no legitimate right to disagree whoever you are. In other words, forcing someone into submission. In a nutshell, it is a slave-like treatment.

Quoting from any website and claiming that this confers legitimacy is academically irrelevant. This thread started off with some nonsense you found on the internet and you are now backing that up with some more nonsense. 0 + 0 = 0

Search is not research- the fact that something can be found on the internet does not mean that it has any intellectual validity. Please check out the validity of the nonsense you are looking at before claiming that any rubbish you dredge up is equal to the opinions of qualified people who have spent years, and are spending their free time helping, looking into these issues. 'But me no buts' is not a common phrase. You can test this by checking it against the largest corpora of language:

Corpus of Contemporary American English (COCA)
British National Corpus (BYU-BNC)

If you want to argue something, then at least have an argument.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I liked your post, though I'm not sure OD deserved such vitriol. ;-) (People need lessons in Critical Thinking. End of.)

b

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
BobK and Tdol, perhaps it's just me, but I didn't read OD's post the way you did. I read it as:

The expression "but me no buts" means that you have no legitimate right to disagree whoever you are. In other words, forcing someone into submission. In a nutshell, it is a slave-like treatment.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I read OD's statement exactly as Dave did -- as a misinterpretation.

A parent can say "I won't take any argument from you on this!" to her child without believing her child is her slave. A boss can say "Just do it and don't argue with me about it" to his subordinate without mistaking the relationship as one of ownership of another person.

Status
Not open for further replies.